Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:53 pm 
I have downloaded video clips from Vimeo of the panning/zooming tests shot on the jetty at Queenstown for comparison. The clip from the DMC-TZ10 is 59 seconds and 15.4 MB. The similar one from the DSC-HX5 is 53 secs and 13.6 MB. How can this be when the TZ10 is 1280x720 @ 25 fps and the HX5 is 1920x1080 @ 60 fps. Surely the HX5 file should be much larger than the TZ10?
Does this mean that they are dumbed down to the same resolution on this site or when they are downloaded?
I notice that both samples appear almost identical in quality.
There is also about the same amount of jerkyness in both when I expected the Sony to be smoother at 60 fps.
I hope someone can explain this or maybe I've missed something.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andy, the final file size is dependant not just on the original frame size, but also the amount of compression applied.

But those figures you've quoted don't sound right.

The Sony HX5 clip at http://www.vimeo.com/10194164 measures 108.56MB and the Panasonic clip at http://www.vimeo.com/10055337 measures 99MB.

Of course the same thing applies - both files are roughly the same size depsite one being 1080i and the other being 720p. So SOny is obviously applying more compression.

Post subject: TZ10 vs HX5 videos
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:56 am 
Thanks Gordon for your prompt reply.
I have checked the file size downloaded from Vimeo and it is definitely as I first quoted. So more compression must be happening somewhere.

I have been trying to decide which has the best res. and can see only a very slightly better res. on the HX5 vid. much less than you would expect given that it is meant to be 'full HD'.

What may explain it is that the Vimeo site says they convert all higher res files down to 720. So the higher frame rate would I guess also be reduced to 30 fps. Your comments would be welcome.

By the way, thanks for your great reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, that's a worry if you can't access the original file - I wonder if it's only available to the person who posted it? It certainly gives me the big file if I try and download it...

Can anyone else try the links above and report the file size?

As for comparing their resolution, the best I can offer in the absence of getting hold of the original files is taking a look at the screengrabs I took from each camera in the video sections of their reviews.

See http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cybe ... tml#movies and scroll down a little...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:44 am 
Hi Gordon,

Yes this is strange, and there are two problems here:
First that I'm getting such small files about 10% of original size.
And second that there is no difference between TZ10 and HX5. this second problem may be explained by the fact that Vimeo reduces 1080 to 720.
See: http://vimeo.com/help/faq#what_happens_ ... 80_footage

Thanks Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

If it helps, the screengrabs I took were from local players on my own computer, using the original files.