Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 am 

Hello,

Can anyone advise me? Im looking at the Gitzo systematic Tripods
(like this one http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/tri ... e=GT3330LS )and was wondering why there is no centre column with them? Is this needed to be bought separately, or do you just attach the head on to the top?

Many thanks

Tom

Nikon D300 | Nikon 16-85mm | Sigma 10-20mm | Sigma 105mm Macro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:36 am 

Hi Tom,

My guess is that the key word is Modular. If you check out the horizontally scrollable accessories window near the bottom of the main Systematic page you'll see that there's a wide choice of columns available. Great idea, IMHO.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Some people also dispense with the centre column altogether and mount a head directly onto the legs - with an appropriate adapter of course. This gives the ultimate in stability, so long as the legs are high enough for you by themselves.

Many demanding Gitzo owners go for a Markin ball head:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/index.php

And an adapter like this to mount it directly onto the legs without the column: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/TB-20.php

Some even go as far as to fit a different plate, such as:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html

It would seem the top tripod kit for those with deep pockets consists of Gitzo legs, a Markin ball head and an RSS plate... I'd love to try that combination sometime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 pm 

Well, I had fairly deep pockets at the time I bought my own combination of a Gitzo GT1541T and an Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head plus Flip-lock quick release device (user review of the tripod/ball-head combo), the ball-head now accepting my 5D2 fitted with this Kirk plate. Lightweight and very compact when folded though not the ultimate in stability, of course, but plenty good enough when the camera is controlled by a remote release.

@Tom Was there any particular reason you were looking at the Systematic range?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:50 pm 

Thanks Bob and Gordon for your links and advice.

I saw the Gitzo systematic range on their website - I always try to suss out a range by looking at their most expensive items and seeing just what advantages they offer for the price, compared to their cheaper ranges. I pretty much thought that there would be adaptors and heads and possible columns to be bought extra to the Gitzo Systematic legs, but wanted to see if these extra costs could be avoided or brought down a bit.

I have been recommended Gitzo, and because there are so many different types of tripod out there, its a bit of a minefield! I think if I stick with one or two brands, it should be a bit less confusing! I basically need something rock steady for up to 5/10 minute exposures, without too much weight or bulkiness. What i like about the majority of the Gitzo range is their apparent ability to go super-low for macro stuff too.

Thanks again for your comments.

Tom

Nikon D300 | Nikon 16-85mm | Sigma 10-20mm | Sigma 105mm Macro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Tom, do also check out the higher end Manfrotto gear. I've also done many long exposures even with a set of basic 190 legs.

See this post for info on the four most popular models:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22165