Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm 
Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong here. I did a shoot with a model in low light with a single strip softbox. Lighting the front side of the model and some products she held in her hands. I do not have a light meter, so I was relying on the playback to make sure I have the right exposure and I am happy with the shot.

Never really used RAW because I am just a hobbyist. But this time I used RAW. I was happy with the shots as they were exposed as I wanted them. When I uploaded to my laptop and opened with Adobe Camera Raw PS CS4, all the shots were very underexposed to the point I could not recover them with out excessive noise, resulting in having to shoot overexposed (in playback). The overexposed shots in playback came out perfectly on the computer.

Can anyone please help? Maybe there is something in PS I need to do differently? Maybe some sort of Camera setting I need to do differently?

Thanks in Advance...

ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm 
maybe you should get your monitor brightness set to the same level as your monitor on the camera ?
Then both screen would produce same result, but the printed result might be different.

Actually, I am not sure if you are referring to the hystogram being properly exposed on the camera LCD and underexposed on computer screen ?
In that case I would use Olympus Studio raw converter to check hystogram and make sure it matches Olympus's camera.
Might be that Adobe doesn't know how to properly read ORF aka their raw converter is bad ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm 
Thanks for the tips. I used the Oly Studio and it seems to match the camera.

as for the final product, I like the way the PS produces the photo better than the way Oly Studio does. Less noisy it seems..

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 am 
What kind of monitor? LCD monitors arent the best for accurately displaying photos.

Also the color space you're using plays an issue, however I'm not well versed in this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 pm 
Using just my laptop. macbook.

When I use bridge to view the photos for the first time, the initial view of them show them exactly like the camera LCD does, then they all turn over to a darker than normal state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:00 pm 
Sounds like you need to calibrate your screen.

Hit System preferences, displays, the colour tab, then select colour lcd and hit calibrate on the right. Follow the instructions and make sure expert mode is ticked.