Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 am 
Some great advice here, I as another novice even enjoyed reading all the helpful tips.

Regarding aperture, some lenses seem sharper around certain apertures, is this true? I don't have any very good quality lenses yet, still saving up for the next one, but it does seem to be the case with my kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am 

you're right peteaarhus.. once you find the Aperature sweet spot of the lens adjust your ISO to reach the desired shutter speed and you really cant go wrong for wildlife photography. Once you got that down you can play more to vary the results/effects if you want to.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm 

Great bunch here FTLOSM,unlike other forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 pm 

Two things that haven't been said (or maybe they have and i just missed it)...

1. The rule of thirds (you dont have to go by it all the time, but it can be a really good rule if your not sure how to compose.

2. Look where the focus indicator blinks. It can make a huge difference whether the focus is at the eye, or 10 cm behind.

Besides from that, i think that you took some oka photos, that might benefit a little from some post processing though 8)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:20 pm 
I haven't had much practice in the rule of thirds but i do get the concept just haven't obviously put it into practice, as for focus point I was using single point focus and aiming for the eyes of the animals I was shooting.

For my first time out I guess I am not too sad, hopefully as I return I can see the progress from my folders of pics each time till i get a few I am happy with.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm 
Im not a DSLR user myself, but i think maybe you should go somewhere near you (to a park) on a sunny day and mess around with differant settings and see how they affect the picture, and then try to fix any mistakes.
Better yet, write all the advice you got here and mess around. Then when you feel cofidant that you know how to make a good picture, go to somewhere interesting and take pictures.
Then review them, put your results to practice again and slowly but surely reach perfection.

Just my 2 cents :D