Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Different ways to Print
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm 

I have noticed that images provided by photographers are a lot better quality and clearer etc, than those that you get from retailers etc

Why is this, are they printed on better quality printers or what?

Do photographers print their own images?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:02 pm 
Ive got to admit I dont really know what you mean.

I get my images printed from Photobox or Jessops and have never seen any difference in quality between these and professional prints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:55 pm 

I think that the paper is different as well. Professional prints have a different feel to them when you touch them.

Consumer prints (like from chemists etc) are shiny.

Last edited by Canon 500D on Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

There are lots of different print surfaces to choose from if you go to a higher-end lab. Try some of them out, or visit a pro lab and check their samples. I used to use Metro Imaging in the UK, but most bigger cities have a pro lab or a mail order service. Some of the bigger online services like www.photobox.co.uk offer different surfaces too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 am 

Canon 500D wrote:
I have noticed that images provided by photographers are a lot better quality and clearer etc, than those that you get from retailers etc

Why is this,?

If someone has direct control over the printed output of their image they can tailor the photo to be "clearer" because they are custom printing each and every print. Contrasted with what a store output will be printed with auto contrast and auto colors based upon some generic assumption of the picture's histogram, i.e. a robot makes the decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:54 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
There are lots of different print surfaces to choose from if you go to a higher-end lab. Try some of them out, or visit a pro lab and check their samples. I used to use Metro Imaging in the UK, but most bigger cities have a pro lab or a mail order service. Some of the bigger online services like www.photobox.co.uk offer different surfaces too.

I tried photobox out. When I first saw their website, It appeared to be marketed at consumers, judging by the friendly layout, and all the pictures of photo gifts etc around it, also Google finds it in no time; But the delivery time was incredibly quick. (about 1 day)

I ordered 25 prints altogether. A couple of smaller ones, but mainly 6x4.5", and ordered each photo (apart from the smaller prints) in both Matt and Gloss, so I could make a comparison.

They use Fujifilm Crystal Archive paper, which is very good. I am generally happy with my images, but aren't sure whether they are any better than high street retailers. I shall have to try and few, and compare them.

Gordon,
Would you say that Photobox is a pro lab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:59 am 
Surely its only a pro lab if they do E6 processing, otherwise isnt it really just a printers?

I love photobox, its where 90% of my digital prints are sent to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:56 am 

Jeremy,
Can you explain what E6 is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:17 pm 
Its the process generally used to develop slide film