Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm 
Now i know this may sound silly but how safe is it for the camera. Of course too much water on the Camera can break it but what about Humidity levels when its raining? I was wondering whether anyone knows if it would be safe to use my 400d when raining, under an Umbrella...

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:46 pm 
Does anybody know?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:03 pm 

If you're shooting under an umbrella I can't see a problem. You'd be surprised how tough cameras can be. I was out a couple of days ago shooting in a blizzard and all went well. I was worried at first but it stood up well. The biggest problem for me is that when I go back into a heated environment the camera is all steamed up, that's all.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:10 pm 

Hi Steven,

It's a difficult one. Let me say at the outset that I don't know the answer but how does this sound:

Avoid getting rain drops directly on the camera and/or lens and be aware of the condensation that can occur when a cold camera is brought indoors. Don't worry too much about the humidity unless you are out in a fog (and that includes hill fog) where the air is pretty much fully saturated.

The reasoning is that these cameras are rated to work up to 85% humidity (manual page 170) and if you have a look at this New York Times article you will see typical humidity levels for a number of places. Humidities can exceed 85% in the Caribbean at certain times of the year so technically the 400D/XTi would be operating outside its normal working environment.

As always, play it safe if you are in any doubt.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:25 pm 
Thanks For the replies.

So your suggesting, It will be alrite in the rain but avoid direct contact and fog...

Hopefully I will be able to go out when its raing but not foggy... if it ever happens.

Thanks again ...