Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Asus or Intel
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm 
I am thinking about to upgrade my desktop, and confused about motherboard choice between Asus and Intel. I have seen lot of tech savvy people using Asus for their PCs, but on the other hand reputation of the Intel as a NO. 1 in motherboard manufacturers making me to think about it.

Please share your opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm 

Intel don't really produce much motherboards, mostly references for the other companies to look at. (At least within the ATX standard)

IMO you are completely safe with either Asus, Gigabyte or something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:18 pm 

Hmm, not sure about being safe with "something else". :P

There are plenty of reviews out their to help with your decision. By way of example, I'm currently looking for a motherboard for a new Media PC and having decided on the processor (Core i5) and form factor (micro-ATX) and a requirement for an HDMI output that still left me with plenty of choices. That's where the hard work started as it turned out that a number of people had issues with the way that sound was injected into the HDMI output on some motherboards. It looks like I'll be sticking with Asus again but my needs aren't your needs, necessarily, and you may be looking for a good overclocker, graphics card compatibility or any of a number of other parameters. But once you've decided on your shortlist do some Googling and see how others have fared.

Sorry not to be definitive but, IMHO, there are too many variables to offer a simple answer.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:30 pm 

For a general user that don't OC or anything like that it's all about what peripherals are needed. Choose the cheapest that suits your needs, be it Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, Foxcon, MSI, EVGA or DFI. =)

I do not insert Mediapc configuration in general use, just to be on the safe side ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 pm 

Hi Lorride,

Just pulling your leg. No offence intended so I hope none was taken. I'd consider motherboards from any of the manufacturers you listed. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 pm 

Not at all =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

In my experience, Asus and Gigabyte are both excellent choices - I always use one or the other for my PC builds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:48 pm 
Uhm, Intel does indeed have own brand motherboards.
BUT they're made by Foxconn these days and they're also designed by Foxconn. I wouldn't go for an Intel board.
Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are all solid choices though.
Maybe some specific in terms of what features you'd want is a good start so we can help pin-point something suitable for your needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 pm 
There is nothing wrong with Foxconn designed/manufactured motherboards.

IMO, Intel boards don't generally offer as much bang for buck as the other manufactures and I don't think there is much reason to get one unless you absolutely must have the latest and greatest but they aren't new at the moment so.... go with the Asus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm 

I'd say Asus! not because Im a fan or supporter of Asus or anything xD

More features, Japanese Solid capacitors, great for overclocking (if ur into it), the quality is great!

but I bought this wonderful motherboard called: Rampage II Extreme... and its awesome :) (Rampage III Extreme is out though).

been using Asus motherboards for over 6 years, and never had any problems!

But I would also recommend Gigabyte, EVGA, DFI, Foxconn and Supermicro.

But I'd say that u shouldn't go for MSI, some friends of mine had many problems with their motherboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:02 am 
Far less problems with MSI boards than Foxconn.
FYI, Foxconn has more or less pulled out of the retail motherboard market.
No point in getting Supermicro, overpriced and very basic features compared to what their boards cost.
DFI, don't bother unless you enjoy spending a day or two setting up the BIOS so the board is stable.
EVGA, overpriced gimmick boards.

So, that leaves Asus or Gigabyte...
I wouldn't bother going for a super high-end model either, it's really a waste of money. Figure out what you need in terms of features and buy accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:46 am 

I wouldn't go for foxconn indeed, a while ago they sabotaged their bios si it wouldn't function properly with linux kernels (the AHCI scandal). Any product that's defective by design should be avoided.

Secondly, stay far, far away from abit. I have one of their boards, and I'm also struck by the notorious clear cmos error. Everytime I unplug the machine the bios resets and the PC won't boot for half an hour. I've already burned through 4 bios batteries in a year :S

DFI is great if you want to overclock, otherwise you're paying a premium for something you don't use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm 
Not to worry about abit, they closed shop a couple of years ago :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm 

hahaha I remember I had Abit before.. it was a pain in the ass to get that motherboard stable... it died after 4 months for usage for some reason ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm 

Well that explains the broken download links for drivers and the absence of support...... :lol: