Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:39 pm 

Hi,

Was out looking at cameras yesterday and the shop told me that the SP 590 has been discontinued. Verified on various sites on web, but couldnt find any press about it, especially why.

The camera shop will sell one to me for $280, which seems a good price, but I'm dubious about buying something that has been discontinued so soon after introduction.

It's kind of interesting that Olympus still has the 590 on its website.

Any scuttlebutt about why the discontinue?

How is Olympus' reputation for supporting products it has discontinued?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 am 

The 590UZ is that superzoom, not?
Well, if true, dont go with that model.
Why? Read reviews (Google: 590UZ review) and youll see why.
Simply go with a Panasonic FZ28 or FZ38, Canon SX10 or SX20.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am 

Hi,

The Oly sp590uz may be out of production; I don't know for sure. But, the sp600uz and the sp800uz both did not impress me. You may get excellent deals for something that's discontinued, but it will put you behind in time in a very fast growing market.

Panasonic fz35/38 seems a better bet for the buck. However, you may also want to check out the Fujifilm s200exr, which is known to give excellent image quality for its class, albeit a little slow.

It depends on your purpose of the camera. If it is only for some snaps here and there or family photos that should look good on your tv or 8*10 prints, you may have struck a golden deal. But, if you are a serious enthusiast wanting to learn photography as opposed to clicking pictures, you would want another camera. If latter is the case, I personally feel the Fuji s200exr may appeal greatly to you. I haven't got any Oly products, so can't comment on after sales service, but it may be region specific too. You may want more local opinion on the brand you commit to.

Hope this helps,
Jinay.

Canon EOS 550D + 18-55mm Kit Lens + Canon 75-300mm III USM + Filters.
Panasonic Lumix FZ35

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdm_01/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 pm 

Hi Ruben & Jinay - thanks for the responses.

Yes, Sp590 is 26X zoom, 676 mm equivalent.

I didnt see too many negatives in the few reviews I could find.
One reference to occasional trouble with autofocus, and apparently the digital IS and mechanical IS are always either both off or both on (not independently controlled). But the review also said AF problems with superzoom was not too unusual, so that maybe isnt such a big deal ...

In any event, I'm holding off on this camera, mostly for reasons Jinay made me think about.

Mostly I do landscapes and wildflowers while hiking, and use telephoto for scouting other hiking locations.

I currently use a Canon SX120, but am looking to step up a little, and the price seemed very attractive.

I agree the Panasonic FZ35 is very attractive too. Havent looked at the Fuji yet, but I'm beginning to think maybe I should make the DSLR or maybe Micro 4/3 leap .... I'm asking a lot from one lens with macro, wide angle and telephoto applications ... problem there is the expense and the weight and the hassle of changing lenses.

Guess I've got to think about what I really want to do some more :roll:

Thanks for the input, definitely helped me decide to save my money for a while yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 am 

I have any Olympus 560 UZ, got it over 2 years ago and I am very happy with it. I use it mainly as a back up camera when I don't feel like lugging around lenses. The quality of pictures on the 560 has always been good and the super macro is great, take the majority of my macro shots with it. Its not a camera that let you do a lot of you customization, especially in Apature mode, so for best results I always have it on P. However that is on my older model, maybe it has changed.

I recommend it if you are thinking of a back up camera or an easy carry around camera. I would agree with Jinay, its is not a camera for someone who wants to do some serious stuff but a definite step up from a point and shoot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:12 pm 

Maybe have a look at the Olympus E420 with 2 lens kit?
Isnt that expensive, and you get really quality!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies