Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 am 
The thought about buying an iPod Touch has recently popped up. (Not 100% buying one but just thinking about having one is very convenient.)

I am only going to be using it as a portable computer. Mainly for its wifi access, apps, and part time entertainment(games).

I already have a Cowon S9 as my main mp3 so I won't be listening to too much music or watching movies.

Right now there is the 2nd gen 8gb for $180 on amazon. And then theres the 3rd gen 16gb for $270. I won't need that much space but the extra speed, which a lot of reviewers are saying is somewhat significant, is a good pitch for me.

I'm not looking for people to tell me how to spend my money. I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:43 am 
You probably already have considered this buy why not get an iPhone? Once you remove the music and video functionality from the iPod touch, the GPS and mobile internet functionality stand out more.

Anyway to answer your question, the 2nd generation uses a 620mhz CPU underclocked to 533mhz and the 3rd generation uses a newer CPU underclocked to 600mhz with a more powerful GPU as well. Compared to my iPhone 3g which has a 400mhz verison of the same CPU as the 2nd gen, the 2nd gen iPod feels marginally faster while the iPhone 3GS (same hardware as 3rd gen iPod) is significantly faster like you mentioned. I would go so far as to say my iPhone 3G feels sluggish with OS3.0 while it was obviously made for the iPhone 3Gs so the 3rd gen iPod Touch pairs nicely too. I think the 3rd gen also gets bluetooth support, if you need that.

Long story short, get the 3rd gen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:59 am 

+1 on the Gen3 iPod Touch... it is essentially an iPhone without the phone. You should be able to run most of the iPhone apps (apart from the ones which use the GSM/GPRS capabilities obviously).

I keep up to date with this forum from my iPod Touch using the WiFi in my house

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 am 
I'm still a student so I wouldn't want to pay for an iPhone. I would rather spend it on camera equipment. :P

Thanks for the input guys. I'll def. look into the 3rd gen.

Also, my friend offered me his 2 year old 2nd gen for $100. I only tried it once and it looked okay. It is not jailbroken. Worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:14 am 

I have had one for 15 months and it's been a great friend! I'd say look at the 3rd gen