Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 am 
Hi folks, I'm looking to buy a camera backpack/rucksack to replace my Tamrac Adventure 7, as I'd like something with a little more space. I need to carry:
Canon 50d
18-55mm lens
55-250mm lens
Sigma 135-400mm APO lens
Tripod
Filters
Possibly a small 7" netbook if I buy one in the future
Lunch!

I'd like to be able to carry my camera with the Sigma lens attached, this is what makes me want to upgrade.
I am on a tight budget, it's likely I'll buy second hand on ebay. Can anyone recommend a bag that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance, Adam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm 
I have not tried this back pack but it seems like a good option if you don't want your backpack to scream CAMERABAG!

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfoe.dll?3020_Quick_Access_M&0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
Surely you dont need to carry your 55-250 and your 135-400 at the same time?

I dont really use backpacks, i just throw a lens or two into my pockets depending on what I might need, but when I do need more than my pockets can handle, I use a Berghaus 30 or so litre backpack. Its not designed for cameras, but it is designed for hiking so it does have little knick-knacky pockets for filters, cards etc. It is also incredibly well waterproofed and comfortable to wear.

I couldnt find my exact rucksack listed, but I guess similar is the http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2537&Gear=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys.

agun, that backpack looks very good for what I want, although there seems to be little or no availability in the UK for second hand ones unfortunately.

jeremy1302, you're probably right in saying I don't need both at the same time, I was thinking it a little, and I think I'm probably better off selling it. It's a little pointless keeping it now that I have my Sigma, and I could use the money to fund other gear I could do with.

The Berghaus bag looks nice, although I would prefer a proper camera bag, although preferably a discrete one, my friend never ceases to amaze me as she wanders around town with a huge shoulder bag with NIKON splashed across the side of it in bright yellow letters. Any other ideas for bags that would suit me needs?

Thanks, Adam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:57 pm 
I also use shoulder bags. Theyre quicker to grab stuff out of when you need it, rather than having to take it off your back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Well... i'm thinking of putting a lowepro toploader 75 AW in an eastpack backpack, when i get my cam.

It can hold a pro DSLR with battery pack and a 70-200mm f2.8. If you want to carry more lenses get some lenscases.

I doubt this is what you need but it might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 pm 
Try the Crumpler Whickey Cox. Have been using it for just under 2 years and it sits real tidy on the back and shoulders. The side pockets are hard to reach into and the bag is heavy (well padded). But after you have it up on your back, do not really feel the weight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:27 pm 
Second the Crumpler Suggestion. I bought the Crumpler Keystone and love it. It's the same as the one suggested above but slightly smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

I have reviews of some Crumpler bags here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Crump ... Barge_bag/