Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:38 pm 
Nokia exec: phones to make system cameras obsolete

* Phones to revolutionise system camera market soon

Fast developing cameraphone technology will shortly make SLR system cameras and even professional cameras obsolete, the sales chief of the world's top cellphone maker Nokia (NOK1V.HE) said on Tuesday. "They will in the very near future revolutionise the market for system cameras," Anssi Vanjoki said in a speech in Helsinki.

"There will be no need to carry around those heavy lenses," Vanjoki said, pointing to a professional photographer taking pictures of him.

Full story here: www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63J15F20 ... mia_ow=t...

I think Nikon and Canon should obviously be extremely worried, and with their HD movie capabilities, Red and the other movie camera manufacturers should watch their backs too. Now Nokia have lost their share of the mobile phone market to Apple, they're obviously gunning for the camera market in a big way. It's only a matter of time before James Cameron uses a Nokia cameraphone to shoot his next blockbuster.
________
Mexico hotels

Last edited by goldengloves on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm 
Nokia said their system will Make SLRs (DSLRs I assume) obsolete.

Then later in the same article:

"The proliferation of smartphones with picture quality comparable to most pocket cameras"

In short, I lol'd.

Mainly because, unless they stick a phone to a Leica M9, cell phones aren't going to compete with DSLRs anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm 

I'd be very surprised if Nokia could actually make it happen. How will they get full frame sensors in there? Will it be fast enough? How's ergonomics (haha)? Can think of many more questions. To keep it short: Nokia is drawing attention with claims they can't, IMO, live up to. Would I gie up my camera system to shoot with a small phone? No way! Especially not if it's a Nokia...

Still, innovation at one company stimulates innovation at it's competitors, so DSLR manufacturers might work on new things more.

Last note: come on, a phone that competes with a Red One, that's pure nonsense.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm 

A Leica M9 with an iPhone mounted on the back, now that's something I'd be interested in!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:31 pm 

Stop listening to marketing droids and they will stop spewing out this nonsense. At best, they might be able to make compacts obsolete, but they'll have to reinvent some laws of physics before they kill the DSLR.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 pm 
borind stupid marketing....seen it,lived it,yawned at it

that's as funny as the photos in mobile phones commercials are made with actual mobile phones :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:16 pm 
+1 to everything said above

In short, most people here realise that the image quality from compacts and now even top end phones can in optimum conditions be indistinguishable to that off a DSLR, but image quality isnt the reason that people bought an SLR in the first place.

Ergonomics, choice of lenses, speed of use etc etc mean that no phone could ever be a "better" camera than an SLR for any photographer who actually uses his camera on a regular basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 pm 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (....) HAHAHAHAHAHA

'nuff said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:29 pm 

There is no doubt in my mind that low end pns camera's will end up in cell-phones in the close future, but DSLR's?, rofl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 am 
That piece of news is an April Fool's joke for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 am 

I think it was the CEO of IBM who said, "only 2 or 3 large companies will ever have the need for a computer."

Bell on inventing the telephone said, "in the future we will be able to call America" and later said, "it will be possible to make mobile calls in the future"

Everyone thought he was a lunatic :D

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 am 
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sprint has a 4G phone coming out later this year in the US made by HTC called the Evo. It shoots 720p and has a mini HDMI out so you can watch home videos and regular downloaded movies from your phone on your HDTV in HD.

http://now.sprint.com/evo/

IMO thats more of a Flip video camera mixed with a phone/media player. Not really the same market as a DSLR. I don't think there is anything that will ever replace big heavy lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 am 
I think consumers who would have previously bought a compact are now gravitating towards cameraphones and no compact at all or SLRs. What the Nokia guy said.... nah, not happening. Not anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
Last time I saw, the whole idea behind photography was capturing light. If it keeps tha way, fact is a 35mm sensor can gather more light than the almost microscopic ones in cell phones, end of the story.

That said, it's quite impressive what the latest compacts can do at ISO's that were unthinkable just a couple of years back, but seriosly, I don't see a phone camera shooting a ISO 102400 like the D3s anytime soon :lol:

Last edited by beren23 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:17 pm 
All the people that bought DSLRs only for fun(vacations,fooling around,learning,"learning") are the type of people that will buy phones with higher & higher "camera quality",because of their portability. The quality is NOT an important factor,marketing is ruthless.
I used to know a lot of people that said all the time "Canon is Canon",so that's why they have Canon cameras.(2-3 years ago,when 400D was a marketing celebrity) That's one of my favorite phrases...& nobody was able to explain to me why. (big surprise) :) And people that buy camera phones just to have a camera AND a phone will never buy a bulky DSLR.

So in general,nobody plans on becoming a photographer from these people anyway.

So,this means a possible sales reduction in the budget-level DSLR market. If Nokia or whatever releases better camera phones (with bigger sensors) I predict Micro-Four Thirds cameras(& their Sony & Samsung counterparts) have a great opportunity to make their products "own" camera phones,because they are portable & slim as well.