Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: HS10 FPS question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 am 
On most of the long zoom bridge cameras, they are about 10 MP give or take a few.
Lets take the Nikon new P100. It has at the fastest FPS at 10 I think. (Burst mode I think they call it). However it cuts the resolution down to 3.5.

So here it the question and why I posted it in Fuji section. Does anyone know with the HS10 what the burst most FPS is, and what is the max resolution?

Thanks,

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 am 
Hi Rob,
from what I read on different forums HS10 have „10fps“ burst mode but it is actually 7fps (The camera can take 7 jpeg's or 5 RAW's) – after this camera needs some time to save data do SD card and you need to wait till process is finished -meaning you cannot take another burst :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 am 
Ace62 - According to Reviews/Manual - it does a maximum of 7 x 10Mpix JPEG frames in number at a rate of 10fps. RAW is 6 frames, slower, and RAW + JPEG slower again. It also has 7, 5 and 3 fps modes with JPEG. It saves RAW-only at 5fps.

The P100 claims 10fps - "Continuous H" - 6 frames at 10fps. Then it has "Continuous L" - up to 200 shots at 2.8fps. That's all JPEG - the P100 doesn't have RAW mode. (It doesn't have a flash hotshoe, either, which the HS10 does.)

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:59 am 
Hi,
Hey, I guess one of the review links posted in the following thread has an answer to that. From what I remember, after the 10fps burst, it takes 15secs to write it to card. Before or after the firmware update, I don't know. Cnet review claims that P100 gave 11.8fps burst in their tests, if my memory supports....
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:50 pm 
Jinay - According to one of the Amazon User Reviews, the HS10 seems to be a bit fussy about SD card speeds. She'd been having trouble with very long delays on the RAW + JPEG saves. Then bought a Class 6 card, which seems not to have made it "instant", but "about halved the time". And added that it did the same for Continuous shooting, but didn't say which mode.

If a better SD card makes the 7 frames at 10fps save in about 7.5 seconds, that's a bit more tolerable, if none too brilliant.

Have you seen anywhere about the saves speed at the 7, 5 and 3 fps continuous shooting speeds? Or how many images it does save at say, the 5fps rate?

At the current somewhat-silly pricing on the Pentax KX here - and that we don't get the US kit-lens option with the Pentax 55-300mm, I'm hanging-off until Pentax releases the K-5 (if that's the KX replacement, or between the KX and K-7) - and will see how the pricing goes on that...

The HS10 does do a range of things my SX10 doesn't, including those Continuous speeds. It also has both levels of HD Video - 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 - in the H264/MOV format. Which is more desirable than the Pentax KX's MJPEG, which from Reviews-etc, seems to have some issues.

Of course - like the SX10 - you'd buy the KX for its Image Quality - not for its Video...!

The very few samples of the HS10's H264/MOV Video available do suggest that it's fairly good quality - particularly in the 1280 x 720 mode, which is the one I want. But I'd want to see more and longer HS10 Videos, before I'd let that be a deciding factor.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 pm 
I think that the camera store down the street is going to get an HS10 in by next week late. I will play with it some and see what I can see about it.

You all have really helped me find some things out about that I asked. Thanks. :)