Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm 
I've been umming and aahing for a while on what to get - I'm pretty sure it will be a Panasonic now..... mainly because i want a small DSLR and these Mirrorless ones areideal.
So I mentioned this in the G2 thread when it was first announced.

I'm still undecided and wondered if anyone could give me any clear advantages to getting the G1 now:

So far as I can see the biggest plus to getting the G1 now is cost - with an approximate cost of £600 for the G2 I could save £200 by getting the G1 now with the £50 Cashback Promo thats on.

I do like the size of the GF1 and the fact it does video, but I really think I will want a viewfinder and as its been mentioned by the time I stick the 14-42 lens on it, it will be pretty similar in size to the G1 anyway - so I reckon that should be discounted.

So its G1 or G2?
I know the G2 has video - which would be useful but not essential.
I know the G2 has touchscreen which is supposed to be useful for Focusing on a specific subject - great - but will I use it much or would I be better using Spot Focus and aiming at the right thing?

So thats two advantages i am aware of - are there more??
Any offers of advice or ideas greatly apprecisted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm 

If I recall correctly, you had a trip planned soon. If so, then the other obvious advantage of the G1 (and GF1) is that it's available now. (Don't forget to factor in some time--I would allow at least two weeks, preferably a month--to get acquainted with your new camera.)

Although, something else that some people are doing in the States is buying the GH1 (the price has dropped to ~$1,200 over here), selling the kit lens on eBay (where it goes for ~$700), and then buying the 20mm f1.7 "pancake" (which sells for ~ $400). Basically, they end up with a GH1 body and 20mm lens for around the projected price of the G2. But I have no idea if this would be similar in the UK.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:02 pm 
Well remembered Mark -
I do have a trip planned at the begiining of June, so yes, that is another advantage I hadn't thought of.

The G1 is available now - from Currys at £449 but I would get the £50 Cashback off that making it £399, although i won't get the warranty as Currys aren't doing it.

Oh how I wish I could afford the GH1... :roll: - seems its the pick of the crop out of the Panny's right now, but sadly budget constraints (Budget being the Wife.. :lol: ) won't allow!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm 
Hi,
I am under the impression that the G2 and G10 shall use a new technology sensor. I believe I read that in Four thirds to potentially compete with 35mm sensors? I am not sure, but this is the impression I carry. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 am 

Jinay - note that the forum thread on this topic refers to the GH2, not the G2 or G10.

Getting back to the original question in this thread: so assuming you, gadget_sa, want to use a new camera on your trip, that rules out waiting for the G2. And between the G1 and GF1, I think the main question you need to answer for yourself is: do you ever (doesn't have to be now, later would be fine, too) see yourself buying either the 20mm or the upcoming 14mm "pancake" lenses? If yes, then I think you will enjoy the smaller form factor of the GF1. If no, then the lower price of the G1 would probably win out.

As an aside, I love my 20mm and would highly recommend it - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 am 
I guess I would have liked the new camera for my trip - but I could probably beg, borrow or steal one from a friend or work - So don't want to write the G2 off just yet.

Regarding the 20mm pancake - yes, I see your point here, the 20mm with a GF1 makes it supremely compact and great for carrying out.

That said, I'm no camera Techie and don't really understand the "Pancake Principle" enough.. despite reading bits about it.
I know it doesn't zoom, and I know its supposed to represent what the eye sees?, BUt thats about it.
Maybe I should research that area - then see where I sit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 am 

Well, if you don't mind waiting for the G2, then you probably should--

(Although, my personal feeling is that the "cost" of waiting--in experience you don't get and moments you weren't able to capture--usually outweighs the benefits. But that's just me.)

--because waiting will get you the built-in EVF you want and the video capability that you'd like. But keep in mind that I'm not aware of any official pricing announcements. So it's possible that you could end up waiting only to find that you can't afford it anyway.

re: the 20mm--another important aspect to consider is that, at f1.7, it's two stops "faster" than the f3.5-5.6 kit lens at it's fastest. And remember that each stop doubles (or halves, if you want to look at it the other way) the amount of light that the lens lets in. In other words, f1.7 lets in FOUR times the light as f3.5 and more than EIGHT times the light as f5.6. In short, the 20mm is much better in low lighting conditions (like an indoor party, which I also seem to recall you mentioning).

Yes, it doesn't zoom like the 14-42mm kit lens, but I'm of the opinion that the modest zoom range is not as helpful as the wider aperture. i.e. it's usually easier to take a few steps forward or backward with the 20mm than it is to get 4-8 times more light with the f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

HTH - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:06 am 

FYI the official Pany press release states:

"available in late-May 2010, the LUMIX G2, which will come in red, blue and black models, will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $799.95, while the LUMIX G10 will have an SRP of $599.95."

HTH - M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 am 
Thanks for the replies Mark -
Firstly, and probably most importantly... the release date.
Just rang Panasonic UK and they have no updates on the release. Still saying it's June, and the guy said if it's June, it will probably be middle to end! :(

I have managed to secure a couple of offers on Cameras for my Holidays should the need arise .... My neighbour has just ordered the Fuji HS10? New out apparently but "supposedly" well spec'd and says I can run it in for him, or one of the girls at work has a Canon 350 - so I'm seriously thinking of holding out.

I'm liking the sound, and advantages of the 20mm pancake.. bit pricey, but it could go down on my Xmas list I guess!

Thanks again Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 pm 
Well it's officially out in the Panasonic Website Store, and a few high street stores have some - but sadly not close enough for me to get to this week!!
£629.00 with the 14-42 lens.

I was tempted to get one - but I have got hold of a Fuji HS10 which I shall use for my trip now, and hopefully by the time I return they will be more readily avaiable locally and and a few posts put out as to how they perform or any early niggle!