Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Lens Hoods
Poll ended at Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm
I use one - I believe that they are required 92%  92%  [ 11 ]
I don't use one - I don't feel that they are really neccersary 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I use one - I am new to photography, and are trying out new things all the time 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I don't use one - I am new to photography, and haven't quite got that far yet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Lens Hoods
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm 

I have one on My kit lens, but are wondering whether it really does anything really?

It protects the lens from being knocked against walls etc, and I guess they're supposed to block glare from the sunlight.

Do you have one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm 

To me it depends on the lens if I use one or not. Their primary function is to reduce or prevent flare when there is a bright light source outside shot. Some lenses are more resistant to flare than others. If the lens is resistant, the hood is less important. Even on a bad lens, if the scene doesn't include flare inducing lighting, it wont be needed.

The protection it serves just happens to be a useful side effect.

Generally speaking, I tend to use them outdoors but not indoors.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:27 pm 
It also makes your camera look more intimidating.

Which might not be good if you are in Irak because helicopter pilots tend to confuse big cameras with rocketlaunchers and then shoot you with 30mm machine guns. :?

If you don't know what i'm talking about and aren't easily upset check out this: http://www.collateralmurder.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:09 pm 
I clicked I use one because they are required, but this isnt strictly true.

I use one because Nikon supply them with all their lenses. I use them because they take up no weight and certainly dont detract from image quality. If I shot canon and they didnt supply them standard, I probably wouldnt buy one additionally. Unless like Popo says, the lens flared particularly badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 pm 

On Canon, they only supply hoods with L series lenses. So if you're on the high end, you'll get one included. The Canon lens hoods are generally better build than Sony, Olympus, Tamron or Sigma hoods, not that it is too critical of course. Of non-included lenses, I've bought hoods for two: the 15-85 which is more for protection as a wide angle hood is of limited value. The other is for the 85 f/1.8 but I wasn't careful and got a 3rd party copy which sucks and doesn't fit too well so I haven't really used it...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:46 pm 
To be fair to sony, ive used some of their top Carl Zeiss lenses, and they come standard with metal lens hoods, much above the build quality of Nikon and Canons pro mid range zooms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 pm 

I use it all the time when outside.. even today without it the lens filter would have taken 20+ hits of branches swiinging at it... for hiking through the bush with the camera over your shoulder, in my opinion, they are a must.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
I should add that I never use hoods on zoom lenses. Firstly this is because they are designed for the widest end, and so my hand shielding the sun is more effective for longer focal lengths.

But more importantly because I think that they can make it more likely that damage is done to the lens.

The most fragile part of a zoom lens in my opinion is the zoom assembly, where some part sticks out the front and occasionally has some lateral play.I think that stick a hood on the front of this is just some extra part to get hit by something and damage my lens in its weakest part.

A filter is infinitely better for protection if you dont already use one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:08 am 

"A filter is infinitely better for protection if you dont already use one"

maybe for around town or in a studio but not if you are cutting your way through bush and spend a lot of time hiking off trails... so many things would hit my filter like branches, rock faces and tree trunks that I would be replacing the filter every week. I've dropped my camera multiple times with the 100-400 on it.. slipped and fell with the camera taking a hit lens first several times... bashed it against all sorts of objects including rock faces... with a filter I would have gone through multiple ones and maybe even damaged the lens front.. I have yet to have my lens be damaged with the hood on it... well except for the time it fell off a waterfall :evil:

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:08 am 
Many lenses don't extend (externally) when you zoom.

Plus many lenses are primes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:00 am 
I was just saying when I do and dont use lens hoods and my reasoning for that.

All Im saying is ive never broken a lens with a filter on it, but I actually have because it had a lens hood on, which in my experience makes filters infinity better :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:53 am 
I like hoods for sun glare, protecting the lens and if in bad weather - rain or snow - seems to help keep the moisture off the lens - unless the wind is blowing 40 mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:17 pm 
it's a big mistake not to use a lens hood,if offers glare & physical protection,so the last option in the poll is kind of pointless. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 pm 
I use my hoods strictly for protection. You can never be too careful. And just like jeremy1302 mentioned: "they take up no weight and certainly dont detract from image quality"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 am 
In my field of photography a lens hood is mandatory.... sun flare is a beyatch....

The only time i do not use a lens hood is when i head into the canyon in the evening where the sun is not shining...