Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 pm 
Hi Neil,

an inspiring story and great to hear - congratulations, very well done!!

AL, you're keying in to some serious truth there. Of all the pre-requisites for a sellable/great picture, the gear it's been produced with comes surprisingly far down the list.

There are camera+lens combinations that can produce "technically more correct" images than the D60+any lens, but when you think about it, how often is that a selling point for an image?

I'd go as far as to say that the vast vast majority of images that are sold, are because of a great concept, composition and decidedly INcorrect color and clarity.

If you as a photographer have something very very specific in mind that require shooting under circumstances that lie outside the D60's performance envelope, then indeed a D700 can perhaps fill the gap. But those scenarios have to be very specific.

If the pure ambition is to take "better pictures", it's likely that painting class is going to make more of a difference than another piece of gear, for example.

For Neil, I think that sheer determination and the entrepeneurship of getting the images out there so they can be sold, is a big part of the success. There are billios of pictures out there that will never be sold, simply because people never see them. Marketing 101 one might say.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 pm 

AL wrote:
-Neil- wrote:
AL wrote:
Well done Neil.

So are all your photos done on a Nikon D60?

yeah all done on a D60.

....and there was me being all nieve thinking if I buy myself a Nikon D700 I will take much better photos, yet look where you have got to with just a D60!! Sorry if that sounds patronising, I dont mean it to, I have lots to learn about taking pictures and bow to what you have acheived and I know the D60 is a brilliant camera!

It just shows that the skill in composing a photo must be 90% of producing a fantastic picture and 10% is the kit you use, the icing on the cake if you like....

Amazing Neil, I am truly impressed..... Well done you. 8)

thank you very much Al, i appreciate that, really do!

I would love to be able to afford a nice D700 or something but my budget just would not alow me too.

I have a camera, all be it 'only' a D60, but it is still a camera and better then a point and shoot one i used to have.
There have been many times where i want to take photos and i just cant because my kit will not let me, be it with the lack of a nice flash or zoom lens, so i just make do with what i have got.

thanks for your support and comments guys!

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am 

Neil,

To help me out a bit here, what limits have you found due to having a D60 instead of a D700? What could you have made better in your pictures?

I understand Zoom and Flash, but they are outside of the camera and can be changed.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 am 

only being able to take 3 RAW pictures at a time and having to wait for the buffer to memory card to catch up so i can take more, i have a Kingston 8GB SDHC card. but i am unsure if it all the same on all cameras.

taking pics in low light, seems to be alot of noise, but i am unsure if that is the lens im using or wrong settings, not sure if a better camera would cope with that better?

i suppose the main things might actually be external equipment rather then the body. In all fairness i'd like the best body money can buy, but thats just me being greedy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:39 am 
Well done thats fantastic to see!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm 

It's Great to see :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:34 pm 
Nice work, top level pictures :)

Agree on equipment discussion, if the actual camera give the quality/resolution, good for the work being sold there is no reason to upload, even the constant tech improvements favor delays in upgrading.