Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 am 
standing at just 1cm shy of 6' and my partner standing just over 6'4" is there are suitable tripod for us - we went instore to try what was there and while hunched over might be ok for 1 or 2 shots its not something we really want to fork out money for not to have a pain in our arses ooops i mean backs.
the only requirements that really matter to us is a decent height while still remaining decently stable and one that can swivel 360 if videoing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 am 

I have an "elcheapo" Optex OPM2930 with a plastic head. At full height, I have to stretch to use my camera. I'm 5"10". The head is not a fluid head but it can do video as well as stills.

I bought it because it is sturdy with the bottom leg sections thicker than some in the higher price range.

Another feature is that pulling out the center section it doubles as a monopod.

Cameras: Canon EOS 450D with Battery Grip | Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10
Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 am 
Im 6ft just about and my Manfrotto 190XproB is fine, just high enough so I dont have to bend when fully extended, but if you want a lower shot which is always the case with some compositions or because your space/angle is limited; you just have to cope, one of the disadvantages of being tall ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm 
This made me laugh!

Im a few inches over 6 foot, and Ive never had a problem. Probably because I tend to set my tripod down low on the ground or in other such awkward positions. With the modern day ISO capabilities, if the shot I want is anywhere near comfortable to hand hold, chances are I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 am 
I'm 6'5" tall and use my tripod all the time, even though it's about 2 feet shorter than me at full height. So I generally do have to bend over to look through the viewfinder and it's not a big deal to me. All though keep in mind I am 22 years old and in relatively good shape.

You can do research on amazon, in the product description it should say how high each tripod is fully extended if this is a dealbreaker for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am 
I have decided on the manfrotto 055xprob 804rc2 pan head, i went for the pan instead of the ball as after trying out both instore I was more comfortable with the pan action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Good choice - I was about to suggest the 055 legs for taller folk...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 pm 

There's also the Hama Omega III tripod. I tested it briefly in-store and it was quite a nice tripod. Carbon legs, strong joints, and a center column which doubles as monopod.

(from http://www.dslr.nl/?cat=reviews&id=1326)