Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm 

With information from very reliable sources, I can tell you guys that Sony will organize a press event on the 18th to 'launch' their EVIL cameras. They won't be available for purchase yet, I'm guessing, but we'll get to know specifications, names, what accessories they come with, etc.

So, about ten days to go till we learn more about these promising mirrorless bodies!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 pm 

I'd be (along with the rest of the world :P) just glad if they'd come up with their A750 or whatever it's going to be (even just a specifications sheet would be great).

I like the concept but in my opinion a DSLR still wins when it comes to user-friendliness...although with the reputation of late Minolta and the Sony Alphas...they were and are very user-friendly DSLR's...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:22 pm 
Are you sure Bjorn? Because my sources told me sometime at May. Although there are rumors about April. Anyway we can wait and watch...thanks for posting..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
It seems that we have a sauces fight. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:35 pm 

My sources, who've proven to be very reliable over the past years, predicting every announcement from the A900 onwards correctly, are sure, so I am too.

We'll see! :wink:

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 pm 
I'm glad to see Sony getting more & more creative...but the Samsung model looks like a mini-dslr,very cute design & friendly...as for the Sony,well it looks like a box. So I don't know how much succes the mirrorless camera will gain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
The spy is a double agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 pm 
whow! that might be a very cool cam cause a man like Bjorn! can classify that as an evil cam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:33 pm 
It's called the Sony Evil.

EVIL GIANT ENEMY CRAB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 am 
I personally don't like the look of the Samsung, it looks too much like a toy. I'm hoping Sony will do better because the concept of a mirrorless camera with 1.5x crop sensor is very nice. Much better than the 2.0x crop on the m43 alternatives and possibly more attractive than the very expensive Leica X1.

I'm curious what Sony will offer and what type of mount it will have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:17 am 
Either way,these cameras will be the perfect vacation tools...and also,a good alternative to rangefinders,for those who want street photography with a compact camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 am 
Exactly. A 1.5x crop sensor is much better for those who wish to use large aperture primes at the wider end while still having a compact body and lens combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:38 am 

At this point the biggest question remains what exactly will they bringining with them? m43 already has a good foothold and most others are jumping in too with their own versions. Can they bring out something different enough to stand out?

While I wouldn't say no to bigger sensors, the difference between 4/3 and APS-C is pretty small e.g. in general use there isn't that much difference between E-P1 and 7D for example. I don't think that will be a major decision point in itself. Also don't forget, generally, bigger image circle means bigger lenses.

Where Sony can win big time is if they can give a better AF/MF experience than m43, and at the same time hit hard with a selection of big aperture compact lenses. As much as I like the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for example, there isn't anything else like it still...

Anyways, not long to go to find out hopefully...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm 
If the final production model is without a hotshoe, then Sony will be shooting themselves in the foot, despite an APS-C sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 pm 
My guess is that Sony will do little to stand out (feature wise). Just enough to get by and not much else.

And even if they do pull off a winner, they're already behind and although Canon and Nikon don't have anything similar yet, they can afford to procrastinate (sorta) as they have legions of followers (plus Canon and Nikon have such good marketing that they can sell pretty much anything). This might not be the same for Sony.

Also, Canon and Nikon can wait until the technology is mature before they build their own...kinda wait and see what direction the market takes, more like an slr in a small body, or a P&S with interchangeable lenses. I guess Sony tried this as well, and it seems that they've chosen the P&S route over the "mini slr" route.

As long as the price is right, Sony can make an impact, but fair prices aren't Sony's strong point. Regardless, it will be an uphill battle for them, no two ways about it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next