Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: File sizes on Sony A200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 am 
I just bought an A200, and first thing I noticed after taking some shots in fine quality, was that the file size of the images [jpeg] is pretty small. they're barely scratching 3mb. Is this normal? I thought they'd be much larger. Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 am 
Try to see your mega pixel i think your in the 3 pm that's why.

not sure thou...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm 

That does indeed seem a little small. I used to take shots with the A700 in Extra Fine Jpeg (now I shoot RAW only, much better, really) and the files were usually not much smaller than 6MB...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 pm 
Image size/qual is on L:10m, I double checked it just in case there was an option I missed. I tried some RAW shots and they are 6mb upwards. Strange. My bridge cam on the same setting would create files 4 - 5mb, and the image quality is far superior on the Sony, but smaller sized pictures.

What exactly is RAW+Jpeg setting? They will be larger I imagine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm 

RAW+Jpeg will give you both a RAW and a Jpeg version of the same shot, so you'll end up with basically two identical photos on your memory card.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm 
hmmm, I thought as much, but that doesn't solve the file size problem. Must go a googling.

I mean, I'm happy with the results, but the size issue kind of bugs me as I plan to sell some prints in future, I'd like to be able to print bg as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 pm 

Beware that filesize is also content-dependent. Try shooting something with very fine detail, like tree branches. The more detail, the larger your file gets!

Also turn up in-camera sharpening (works very well when done in-camera).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:26 pm 
Where do you change the in-cam sharpness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
3MB JPG file for an A200 is normal normal and a RAW file from the same camera should be somewhere between 6 to 10 MB. But I agree with 'Citruspers' the above is just an average and sizes will vary depending on what you shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm 
Thanks, that's cool, just so long as I don't have it set up wrong. Going by Gordon's review clip [which I had bookmarked when looking into the cam] the sharpness is changed in creative styles, and the 3 settings across each style are contrast, saturation and sharpness. This helps a bunch as my cam was st to -2 sharpness in standard. Sorted now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
One thing to note, if you are shooting RAW and set the camera to shoot in BW, the RAW file is actually substantially smaller since the embedded JPG will be in BW (which is by itself a smaller file when compared to colour jpeg images). This can easily save you 5MB per RAW file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 am 
First: congrats on your new camera!

As for the file size issue, it really depends on the contents of the image. I have jpegs that are usually from 2-6 mb in size from my a200. So not much to worry about. I prefer to shoot in RAW for most serious photos though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 am 
I tried a few RAW+Jpegs last night, a 4GB card should be enough for a few hundred shots :) I like the ability to change the orig white balance in Lightroom, and I know the images have a little more detail besides but it's not immediately noticeable. Any other significant advantages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm 
Yes there are more advantages! When you shoot RAW, you are working with the raw data that the camera sensor sees. When you have a jpeg, you are working with a pre processed, compressed, exported image. This means you have much more flexibility in terms of color, white balance, and exposure with RAW.

I think it is worth it for white balance alone, I find that this is one of the most important settings for getting great looking photos. White bal is different in every scene and I almost always find myself adjusting it to reproduce what I saw while shooting. Adjusting exposure in RAW is so much better than jpeg as well. RAW captures way more highlight and shadow detail that would not be recoverable from a jpeg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 am 
Thanks for that, I'm going to start shooting RAW+Jpeg from now until I get used to RAW officially [I like the comfort in the Jpeg being there too, for now :) ]