Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which camera case ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 am 

I am considering a Lowepro Cirrus, But there are several models of it, like the 110, 140 etc, and they don't look all that different judging by the images either.

This is the type of case that I am looking for, but which one out of the Cirrus range to get, or can anyone reccomend an alternative one perhaps?

I would like to carry a Canon EOS 500D Body, flash gun, and 1 or 2 lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm 
lowepro classified 160 is my bag. Wouldn't mind a bigger one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 am 

ambrose21 wrote:
lowepro classified 160 is my bag. Wouldn't mind a bigger one though.

It is a bit tall for my liking, quite soft, and ideal for 200mm lenses, which I don't use at the moment unfortunately. I was looking for something smaller in size, like one of the Cirruses. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:19 am 
I personally dont use specific camera bags, they draw attention to you having expensive equipment and generally are a rip off for what they are.

At the moment I use a shoulder bag with a velcro flap. That means I can flip it open whenever I need to easily and quickly. Its huge and easily stores lenses like my 80-200 f2.8. It also has a side pocket for memory cards etc.

The best bit is I can put my stuff away and look like a poor student not worth mugging when I walk through dodgy parts of town late at night and that I picked it up for about 6 or 7 quid from a bits and bobs shop.

Ps if it is raining, I wrap my stuff up inside in plastic carrier bags, or if I can be bothered using a rucksack liner from a hiking shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm 

Hi Jeremy,
There are many decent camera bags that are less obvious, like the sactual and rucksack type. I agree that they are expensive, as are most things, but the quality on them is very good, protects the camera, and will probably most likely last a lifetime, where's a cheaper one may start to fall apart after some wear.

Not everything comes from China :D

Last edited by Canon 500D on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm 
Good luck with your choice!

I would advise against a rucksack type however. To access it you have to put it down etc and you will miss many a shot. With a satchel you can get to your lenses and what have you in just a second

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:29 pm 

I would only have a rucksack type bag for the less urgent shots, it isn't really required for outdoor wildlife probably, as you're not likely to be carrying your entire rig around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:02 pm 
What camera/ lenses and flashes exactly do you need to carry?

Your 500D, 18-55mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm 

jeremy1302 wrote:
What camera/ lenses and flashes exactly do you need to carry?

Your 500D, 18-55mm?

Currently I only have a 500D and 18-55mm lens, but shall get a flash gun, and another lens, I would also like to carry other accessories like a flash sync cord, and lens cleaning brushes which don't really count, because they can easily fit in the front/side pockets etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 pm 
I have a EOS 500D and a LP Cirrus 120, which was a good choice when it comes to size.

Currently it holds the camera with the 18-55mm Kit lens and the 50mm f.1.8 lens I bought. It also holds the charger in the outer pocket and a cloth to clean things. There is no more room for a third lens I'm afraid.

The 50mm could be replaced by a larger zoom lens. All in all I'm happy with the bag. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm 

c wrote:
I have a EOS 500D and a LP Cirrus 120, which was a good choice when it comes to size

I really apprecheate your opinion on the bag, but it is hard to work out which size I need without visiting a shop and actually touching the bags myself personally, it seems.

I thought it would be nice to have a bit of room to store a camcorder as well. I would ideally like 3 compartments internally to store the body, lens, and the 3rd area for a camcorder/flash etc, larger accessories really.