Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reflections of Atlantis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:35 pm 

Last edited by dubaiphil on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm 

Wow thats a great shot!

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:30 pm 
Great shot, Id have loved to see it in not quite pitch black conditions though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 pm 

I'll take a sunset version over the next couple of days, if the weather behaves, with ND filter to smooth the water...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 am 
Beautiful picture and interesting the F numeber you use :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm 
wow now that is what i call a Great shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 pm 

Last edited by dubaiphil on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 am 
Having said that, I actually quite like the first one now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:01 am 
I agree with you Jeremy... but Phil thank you so much for going back and try the new shots... that's a great forum buddy 3 cheers for phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:52 am 

LOL thanks lowliferider!

It's a work in progress - I like the reflected shot in 5:5 format and want to print it large.

The extra detail that can be captured as a 6 shot stitched image at 70mm (of the hotel itself) rather than a single 24mm shot (of the hotel and reflection) is impressive but incredibly difficult to stitch in Photoshop Elements. It will be worthwhile though as I revisited the other evening and conditions were clearer, to the point that at 70mm you could clearly see two people having a drink on the top centre balcony above the main arch!

I'm ending up with perspective issues everywhere, as certain verticals are vertical, and others are crooked - all manner of distort and perspective changes in Elements can't fix it, and I'm going round and round in circles!

Any ideas on the best way to go about stitching an image like this together? Is it best to take multiple shots of the hotel itself, stitch and then add a single shot of the reflection in underneath? The problem is I like the effect on the water caused by a relatively quick shutter speed of 3 seconds, but stitching together 6 shots of the reflection at that speed could be a problem. The other option would be to take multiple images of the reflection to stitch at a much slower shutter speed to really smoothe the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm 
sorry to 'dig up' an old thread, but I love your work, Phil.
Since I will be travelling to Dubai in a few days.. with high photo expectations, I was wondering how did you get to this vantage point, so close to the water. I thought this area would be off-limits :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 am 

Thanks wizake

It was off limits, but not secured particularly well. It's now very secure so you'll get in trouble if you try the shot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:47 pm 

Since you have experience photographing in Dubai, what advice can you give me regarding taking photos using a DSLR and a tripod around there?
If I setup my tripod, should I be expecting a security guard beside me in 5 seconds?
Do you know where would I be able to use my tripod? I wonder if it's worth carrying it if I wont be allowed to use it.
How about inside malls (Dubai, Emirates, Marina,..), around Burj khalifa or Burj-al-Arab (from the public beach, of course)
I heard that "At the top" it might be allowed. (I have a reservation at sunset)

Any other restrictions you can think of would help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:09 pm 

Tripod is OK in the following places:

Burj Khalifa - go for it - you'll need a 10mm on crop sensor to fir it all in.
Burj Al Arab - fine on the public beach, but you'll attract some attention in certain places around Souk Madinat (the bridge on the entrance). In other areas you're OK (walking down from the bridge towards Noodle House, along the canalside is OK)
DIFC - off limits with a tripod
Around Marina - you'll have security asking questions around the fountains, but in other areas of Marina you're fine.
At the Top - fine, and a good idea at dusk
Mall of the Emirates - tripod's a no go, and a big camera might get a bored security guard asking questions. Tell them you live here and you know it's fine to take pictures (literally 1000's of tourists a day go there)

When are you visiting? Staying where? Give me a shout if you want a few good locations to shoot - the fish market, textile souk, spice souk and gold souk are good, along with Bastakiya and and abra trip across the creek - that's a good photo morning if you start early.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm 

Plus I've made a few good contact in the Fish Market - great for travel portraits. I need an assistant willing to hold a softbox! :D