Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Macro Choices
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 pm 
Since the Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Telephoto Macro Lens is a little out of my price range I am stuck between the choices of the Olympus EX-25mm Macro Extension Tube versus the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro Lens.

I appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:51 pm 
35mm in any case. Really good lens, and has higher magnification then 50mm.
Only downside when compared to 50mm is it's not as bright. I use 50mm in churches and anywhere where I don't use flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 pm 
how can you use a macro lens for normal photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:52 am 
ambrose21 wrote:
how can you use a macro lens for normal photography?

Any lens can focus to infinity, macro lenses are just specially made that they can focus extra close. A lens is focused to infinity when the rear element is closest to the sensor and every lens [except for some rare specialty lenses] should be able to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 pm 
You might also want to take a look at the Sigma 105mm Macro. It's between the 35mm and the 50mm in terms of cost and people only say good things about it.

Anyway, i own the 35mm macro lens and really love it. Haven't used it in a while (it will make it's comeback in spring). Maybe you should take a look at the cameralabs lens gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 am 
I've been using the Sigma 105mm F2.8 for the past year, it's very sharp! I don't have the Zuiko 50mm macro so I can't say it's sharper than the 50mm or anything, but it is very very sharp, especially when you use manual focus (I use only manual focus on this lens, much easier/accurate). I take a lot of floral pictures, with this lens even the tiniest stigma/anther can look very sharp in the image.

Also at 105mm it gives you much greater working distance from the subject, than the Zuiko 50mm. This lens doubles as a great (really!) portrait lens too, with great creamy bokeh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 pm 

I too wondered about a macro lens, as last summer I found a new interest in butterflies and other insects.

I mostly used my 50-200 on 200 and stood back, but thought that a macro would probably be better. However, my concern was that although I would be able to get closer, this would probably cause the insect to flee. Does this usage suggest the Sigma would be the best option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:48 am 
Also,...you do not need a dedicated macro to get macro results.

There are close-up filters,...and longer lenses that are close-focusing enough to give you similar results.

I can not take the 70-300 off my Oly,...it goes both ways very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 pm 
Yes, the 70-300mm is good for macro shots, but you need lots of light to get a sharp picture.

By the way, you can get very close to insects without them running away. You have to move slow and try not to breath towards the insect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:07 am 
I did not find the 70-300mm sharp enough to be a good macro, even when stopped down. Ultimately I sold mine after a year of ownership, disappointed with its sharpness and its slow and unpredictable autofocus. I feel the 150mm is much more of a pleasure to use.