Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 pm 

I'm still eager to see the A700's successor. Must be quite a stunning thing if it takes this long...

Nice idea of them to extend their line-up of prime lenses, though. Previously they had the 20/2.8, the 28/2.8, the 35mm 1.4 G (ex-Minolta one, overpriced and not on par with the quality of other high-end, G or Carl Zeiss lenses), 50/1.4, CZ 85mm and the 135mm...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 pm 

The 35mm f/1.4 G is not a bad lens, I really gives you some great results, but yeah, it is overpriced...
I really like the 24mm f/2 Zeiss though, can't wait to try it!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 am 
Given Sony's recent associations with FIFA and the South Africa World cup, does anyone think that there is a possibility of the new cameras deputing there?

I think it would be sound marketing on Sony's part, since no other event in the world attracts more viewers. Obviously, DSLRs are gonna take a back seat to Sony's big ticket items, namely TV, games, music and movies, but I wouldn't be surprised if some attention is given to the Alpha mount.

I predicted this as a make or break year for the Alpha mount (not that come Dec. 31, Sony is gonna shut down the alpha line, but rather reduce development money and over time, grind development to nill, and then eventually just doubling the time to release a new cameras with less changes after each generation. Then the Alpha mount will slowly grind to a halt).

That being said, Sony hasn't been impressing so far, but its very early still, and I really hope Sony can pull this off as they have done some very notable and unique things over the years (listed are what I find important to me):

- First sub $2000.00 full frame camera
- Image stabilization
- Best live view system
- Innovative flash bounce system that is sure to be copied in the SB1000
- Consistent UI design which makes switching between different bodies a snap.

It would be a shame if they didn't make a good return on their sizeable investment, and the A900/A850 (also the myriad of high quality lenses) really deserve to be commercial successes. But, Sony can't point the finger since they've mostly been the ones to shoot themselves in the foot by either being too expensive (HVL-F58, A900 compared to the more "feature" rich 5D, etc.), being too late (A7xx and video), being too stubborn (memory stick) and most of all being too detached from the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:07 am 

primitive wrote:
I predicted this as a make or break year for the Alpha mount (not that come Dec. 31, Sony is gonna shut down the alpha line, but rather reduce development money and over time, grind development to nill, and then eventually just doubling the time to release a new cameras with less changes after each generation. Then the Alpha mount will slowly grind to a halt).

Sounds like you have it all figured out. :lol:
I guess the Alpha line will be a prized possession with used equipment fetching a king’s ransom.

Last edited by WestCoast on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 am 
I also predicted a full carbon fibre body ... haven't seen that yet either .... but like Nostradamus, you have to get some right (hopefully not this one though) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 am 

I’m selfish, once I have something I hope they discontinue it right away. Nothing worst than being just another look-a-like body in the crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm 
I am still having trouble getting over how ugly the Sony α Alpha is -- Essentially it is a sardine-can with a lens attached -- but there are now screenshots of the menu appearing, and the menu looks very nice.

http://www.xatakafoto.com/actualidad/se-desvelan-los-menus-de-la-nueva-evil-de-sony

If the menu does indeed turn out to be a touch-screen, as many believe, then I may have to get over my dislike of it's 1970s (Ark II, anyone?) styling.**

So far I have not seen any pics of it with its flash extended. It looks like there is a flash that swings up from the surface of the camera (and menus confirm there IS a flash). There appears to be *no flash mount*, which is a risky move but is in keeping with the sardine-can aesthetic.

The lack of a flash mount makes me expect that this will be priced for the casual consumer.

**I've looked hard at the camera and the menus, and I'm now of the opinion now that it is *not* a touch screen. The curved slider that looks as if it might be a touch-area that you could "sweep" your finger across is adjacent to a circular button area on the camera itself, so chances are you "sweep" the button not the screen. Similarly, the BACK and SHOOT TIPS items on the screen are directly adjacent to physical buttons on the camera.

Not a touch screen. But still a nice looking menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm 

I like the design, all a matter of taste. The final production models might just come out looking quite different! :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I like the design, all a matter of taste. The final production models might just come out looking quite different! :)

- Bjorn -

I thought so too, but reports are this ships in May! So the mock-ups may have been prototypes, not mock-ups at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:00 pm 

Same goes for the A7XX - quite frankly, I don't really like it the way it was shown (the back with the LCD and bunch of buttons, that is) at PMA...

The A700 looks better, LCD more integrated, more like the previous entry-level A200, A300 and A350...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 pm 
primitive wrote:
Given Sony's recent associations with FIFA and the South Africa World cup, does anyone think that there is a possibility of the new cameras deputing there?

I doubt it. FIFA controls the TV rights but photography is done by the usual press agencies and they would use whatever they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm 
Hi,

Its a great camera and i like all the functionality of this camcorders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:00 pm 
Really looking forward to a showdown between the compact (full-size sensor) Sony Alpha, and the Samsung NX5.

Even though admittedly, no one has even seen the NX5 yet. But all indications are these two will go head to head. Full sized sensors in sardine-can bodies. Both intended to blow away the micro4/3rds market and replace it with APS-C sensor compacts.

Exciting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:23 pm 
I dont see the Point & Shoot's being destroyed by mirrorless cams.
The main feature of P&Ss in my opinion is that they are compact and inexpensive..
Who cares if you give it to your crazy daughter, take it to a party, go to the beach swimming or something? it only cost 100€...
But these things i doubt will cost 100€.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:39 am 
I would be quite interested in the A7xx, as I am already feeling limited by my 230, most notably the lack of a second dial and a top screen...

And Primitive, fingers crossed your prediction isn't right, I put a lot of thought and a lot of cash into investing in the alpha system, I'd hate to think it was in vain.