Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moto-X
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:03 pm 
From the Maxxis Championship Little Silver

C & C Welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm 
i think that #2 could be really awesome with a bit of attention in post production

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:58 am 
Good set of shots i like #2 how you've cought the mud in mid air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:51 am 
#1 - my fav a nice angle, but I think front facing angle would work best. still a good shot though.

#2 - great shot, I love all the action going on. I like how you included foreground. I do agree that this shot needs a little pp. May pull out the blacks a little more and increase the contrast a tad. the only mistake I see on your part here is you focused on #8. I don't know if that was intentional or not but I think the bikes in front should be in focus.

#3 - Shot tighter

#4 - its kinda hard to explain but put simply whatever part you track is the sharpest right now it looks like you tracked either the oil reserve or the number plate which makes the riders face/helmet not totally tack sharp. so in the future with panning shots I would recommend tracking on the riders eyes.

overall I'd say you got some sweet shots. Keep shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:47 pm 
Thanks for the replys. To be fair it was my first time out and 80% of the pics taken were ****!!

Its pretty hard to focus on one point while panning, may come with experience i hope. So damm fast tho!!

My main problem i found was not getting close enouth with 105mm so ive been looking at the nikon 70-200mm f2.8 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:07 pm 

The Nikon 70-200 2.8 is quite expensive. Consider the Sigma 70-200 2.8 as well! (I love mine).

Also, if you only do outdoor sports, the 70-300 may be a better and cheaper option :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:01 am 
Sorry, I didn't mean to bash you too hard... I just appreciate some honest feedback once in a while.

I shot some cycling a while back, I think I shot some like 3000 pan shots over 10 hours of shooting so I really had time to perfect my panning technique. So it really is all about practice, you could even go to a near by busy street and practice on traffic.

Some say that its 90% the photographer and 10% the camera, well that isn't always true, especially with sports photography. So yes having a 70-200 2.8 with VR is a major help.

Its amazing, when I first started only 20% were usable and 80% percent were "****" now its quite the opposite I think 80% of my shots are decently usable. (meaning I'm not embarrassed to show them, they aren't perfect)

If you can afford to go 70-200 2.8 its definitely worth it, also check out the used market. I picked up a used Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS in awesome condition for just under 1300 USD (retails new at 1800 now)

I do agree with Citruspers, a 70-300 would also be a good option if you're on a budget. or maybe take the middle road and go with a tameron 70-200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:36 pm 
Tomis wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to bash you too hard... I just appreciate some honest feedback once in a while.

Na its cool man, i can take constructive critisism