Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Considering a Monopod
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 am 

I am considering purchasing a Monopod, any ideas of which to get, or any tips, past experience etc

Would any of you prefer to use a tripod?

Leave any feedback below :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 am 

really depends on what you want to use it for....

If it is for studio work and/or stuff around town where you are close to easy access use a tripod.

If you travel a lot and are concerned about weight, mobility or airline carry-on weights/restrictions get a monopod.... use it as a walking stick when boarding the plane and tell them you have a balance problem in the air if they ask... one more thing you can bring without worrying bout restrictions or adding to your luggage weight.

If you hike a lot get a monopod sturdy enough to double as a walking stick or convert a walking stick into a monopod.

If you plan on shooting a lot of sporting events or going to public places like arenas, museums, or theaters get a monopod cause many dont allow tripods.... even if they dont allow monopods, which is seldom, walk in with a limp and pretend its a walking stick... it works.

I have a manfrotto which doubles as a walking stick for hiking. I actually use it 90% of the time as a walking stick and once in a while as a monopod. They are great for rough country for extra stability when crossing creeks or rivers or just when walking on rough terraine and when you learn how to use one properly they really do save a lot of wear and tear on the feet and legs. They can also act as a last line of defence against any unwelcome company. Again.. if you use it as a walking stick make sure it is sturdy enough. If you dont think it is sturdy enough and really like using walking poles get a pair of poles like Leki designed as hiking poles and attach the right size screw to the top of one of the poles... Leki also actually makes a decent monopod/hiking pole.

On long outings I also carry a gorillapod with me.... I dont use it often but it is invaluable when you actually need it. I've used it to attach my camera to a tree or anything else and then hide a ways away waiting for wildlife to come close.. then use a remote trigger to take the shot... has worked like a charm many times to get really closeup shots of spooky animals when you know they regularly visit a specific spot.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:00 am 

Wolfsong wrote:
really depends on what you want to use it (quote shortened)

Very good advice there

My main concern was setup time, but also price, easy to carry, less obtrusive, quicker to adjust, and although small - I already have a tripod.

The only thing that you can't (usually) do with a Monopod, is make it stand up on it's own, but I guess that's where your gorrilapod comes in handy - I love those, haven't got one yet though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 pm 

there are several monopods made these days with 3 spring out legs so they can be used as a tripod... by the looks of them they dont look too stable but apperantly they work... never tried one myself.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr