Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Admin

I completely agree Bob. One of the major beenfits of installing a new OS from scratch is starting with a clean slate. I try and do this every year - even with the same OS - as the performance boost can be significant. Even if you're careful, you can't halp installing lots of things over time, and these all add up to slowing your machine down. Sadly when you upgrade from one version to another, these things rarely go away.

Clean installs and upgrades all the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 am 

Bob: 16 sec W7 startup is from switching on to the desktop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:42 am 

No, Thomas - if only! It's the time from the end of the BIOS initialisation (the point at which the Starting Windows logo appears) to the Log On screen. The BIOS initialisation takes rather longer, with the Adaptec RAID controller on its own needing about 45 seconds. :shock:

From switch-on to log-on takes 90 seconds.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am 

"the Adaptec RAID controller on its own needing about 45 seconds".
Oops :oops:
That's another reason I'll never use RAID, the other being that I'm paranoid about something going wrong in a RAID :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:05 pm 

I guess "to RAID or not to RAID" is a topic best discussed elsewhere. But, discarding the BIOS initialisation times which can't be laid at the door of either Vista or Windows 7, the headline fact is that upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, as opposed to a fresh install, did absolutely nothing to cure Vista of the abysmal state into which it had allowed me to get it into. If I'd known that I could shave well over a minute off the Windows 7 start up time by doing a fresh install the decision of which way to go would have been a no-brainer! :roll:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 am 

I've just added a little poll here to find out which version of Windows 7 the community is already using and which software runs successfully (or not) on those machines.
That thread is not for general discussion of Win7 which should stay here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm 

If you got a better PC with a good hardware system, then Windows 7 is the window.it so fast and crash less sometimes do but very rarely.that's not a big problem because every electronic cause problems.and it got not many bugs actually a very little bit. most of all almost all the programs runs smoothly as on Windows 8. it crashes some programs.over all best Window.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6