Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:22 am 
Hello. I've been on this forum for some time now (not much but still) and most stuff i asked for was about a camera and a lens i have just ordered (thanks for all the help on pointing out some bad stuff and good stuff). I never did a review of anything and i thought this would be a good one because i didn't found any reviews of this lens and i just bought it.

Anyway in topic I want to make a review of the Canon EF 28-135 mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. Now I have a Canon EOS 450D (very good camera) and the 18-55mm kit lens and I feel it was time to make an upgrade so I ordered a new lens. I was looking for something with a bigger zoom and a faster focus (because i am photographing fast movin objects and i need just a bit more zoom). The lens is arriving somewhere between today and September 13th so now I will just copy/paste some specifications and let you know later how does the lens feel and I will also paste some pictures and compare it to the canon 18-55mm kit lens.

Spec.:
Size: 78.4mm x 96.8mm (good size, not too big)
Weight: 540g (i think the weight will give a more professional fell and it shows the build qualaty is good)
Optics: 16 elements in 12 groups
Closest Focus: 0.5m (usefull, especialy if you want to get very close to your subject)
Filter thread: 72mm
IS: YESS (at 135mm handheld it is much needed)
AF: USM (very fast and silent focus motor)
Price: 450-600$ ( i don't know if it is too pricy but for all the features it offers it is a decent price)

P.S.: Sorry for my bad Englis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:46 pm 
So the lens arrived yesterday morning. :D . So what are my first impresions - well when i opened it i was a bit suprised. The lens was big and a bit heavy. It is a nice improvment from the 18-55mm. when i put it on my camera it was better balenced than with the 18-55mm and the focus is extremely fast accurate and quiet.
The image stabilasor is very effective, but it is a bit noisier than on the 18-55mm.
I didn't had any time to take some action shots but i was able to do some macro. I photographed some flowers and insects from a distance of 0.6m and they are pretty sharp and the background nicely blured. Also when i zoom in on the camera or on the computer the center is very sharp.
The zoom ring isn't that good - it is not very smooth, but the focus ring is great. It is firm, smooth and when you go over infinite you don't damage it.
So i am very happy with this lens. Now i only have to take some action shots to test its speed and compare the action pictures to the quality of the ones take with the 18-55mm lens.
All in all for the first impresions i do recommend it, because of 28-135mm range, quality and great macro shots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:58 pm 
I got this lens as part of my 40D's kit. What I love about it is the versatility it offers with such a great zoom range. The zoom on my particular lens is very loose, if you have the camera pointed down, you have to hold it in place with the zoom ring. Not really worth returning it to Canon to be adjusted, so it's just a quirk. I've noticed my attempted macro shots are not as sharp as I'd like, but I can't complain since the lens wasn't designed specifically for macro. All in all a good walk-around lens for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm 
i got this as a kit lens to my 50D and im quite satisfied with its performance. for me im happy with the IQ it gives with every shot that i take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:13 am 
i'm not using it but we have one at home and it's a great lens. it's only weakness is that it's pretty soft wide open but if you want your images only for web showcasing, then even that is fine. stop it down a stop or two and it's a highly sharp lens - recommended for it's very low price.