Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
zeiss 24mm is all i care about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm 

To be honest, the Zeiss 24mm f/2 SSM was also the only thing I really cared about before and shortly after the announcement. Sure, the 500mm is great and all, but that comes at too high a price. The NEX cameras, though, seem very interesting as well. I've been looking for a decent compact to take with me to university every day, and if the lenses announced along with the bodies are useable, I'd definitely be interested. Would I buy one? Hmmm, probably not, not anytime soon anyway.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:59 pm 
The Zeiss 24mm f/2 ssm looks really nice. If the price is right it might make a perfect addition to my 50mm f1.4 for my Gig photography, as I never go lower than f/2 anyway, as the chances of getting the shot in focus is tiny.

The 500mm does look good though, And the NEX cameras if priced well might be good for say my Mum, who would like something small and compact, with the possibility of using my lenses.

And I can't really comment on the a700 replacement. Firstly because there is no spec and two, because I have just bought an a700, which should last me a couple of years.

Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 pm 
primitive wrote:
Might be just me, but I hope the minimalist design works since Sony's original approach of having a button on ever surface worked really well for the A850.

That's because Sony have not announced their secret weapon, a telepathic/neuro interface to their cameras. You look through the view finder, imagine how you want the scene captured and the camera reads your brain waves to change the necessary settings.

Buttons are so last millenium...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
I might be interested in a compact, especially weather proofed one, and especially if it goes under 28mm, and has a 720p video zooming capabilities. But even if it has all those features I won't buy it if they stick to memory stick cards. Then I will get the panasonic one that has everything right. Canon cant zoom in while video recording, Olympus has awful IQ, so panasonic got it right so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 pm 

pgtips wrote:
That's because Sony have not announced their secret weapon, a telepathic/neuro interface to their cameras. You look through the view finder, imagine how you want the scene captured and the camera reads your brain waves to change the necessary settings.

I can see that within a decade or so.
-----------------
Other than that, the “new” 7xx sounds like what everyone or most people wanted, so there it is, a film camera capable of taking stills.
I hope my 700 lasts for a really long time before I have to make any buying decisions.

Now that 500 mm sounds like something to aspire towards, being interested in birding and such.

Last edited by WestCoast on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:16 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Has Sony shared what lenses will ship with the new "ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system"? (They are going to have to find a better name. :roll:)

The cameras will be called NEX3 and NEX5, with a NEX7 being announced later this year. The lenses are rumoured to be a 16mm f/2.8 pancake (non-fisheye) and an 18-55mm. No official information though, that's only what the rumours say...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm 

So, in the end, the sony alpha rumour site is more right than I expected. Speculations for a NEX-like system have been reported consitently on the site for some time.

I'm pleased to see that video functionality has made it to the system. Not that I would buy my next camera specifically for that feature, but I'm pretty impressed by the video quality of DSLR-videos from other brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:30 pm 

popo wrote:
I thought Exmor R was a compact sensor technology. Bigger sensors are just plain Exmor.

It's now EXMOR APS HD, which is basically the same technology as EXMOR R, but on a bigger sensor and in a different kind of camera.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
With the Zeiss 24mmF2 coming out with SSM, what are the chances that they would rework the Zeiss 85mm and 135mm with SSM? Hummmm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm 

Interesting. All the brands smaller bodies look different from the ones that are more expensive, but the sony pretty much looks like it was just inflated a bit?

Also: what's up with the whole EXMOR R stuff. As far as I know, EXMOR is the sensor sony developed, which is used by at least Nikon and Sony. Why the marketing name change? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm 

For those who don't understand what Exmor R technology is, you might want to briefly browse through this page:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology ... _r_01.html

Why change the name? From a marketing perspective, it's a better move than using the sane name. Exmor R is a brand strongly associated with Cyber Shots cameras, handycams, etc. For higher-end products, it makes perfect sense to think of a new name.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:00 pm 

Bjorn, got any link or anything on the new Exmor hardware? I haven't seen anything anywhere on the APS HD sensor other than name.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm 

Sorry, I don't have any links on the new sensor.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 am 
Here's a link to a Sony mirrorless Teaser...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFiBk5PfEIk

I'm still looking for a compact, but since I have plenty of time while saving up the cash I will be following Sony. I think Sony might have a very interesting product here.