Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My first HDR attempt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm 
This is the first time I've attempted an HDR shot, I felt like doing this for fun...But I should probably note that the weather was absolutely horrible outside. The skies were nothing but dark grey overcast and there was no sun and no contrast to make the picture interesting.

I did the editing in Photomatix which I just got today and I seriously have no clue on how to use it yet so any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

C&C is always welcome....Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm 
I'd be interested in seeing the original.

High Dynamic Range, as its name suggests, is all about squashing the dynamics of real life into an image that doesn't really support that range (tone mapping). The nature of the beast means it will work better in scenes with large differences between light and dark (high dynamic range).

This image looks like it was taken at dusk on an overcast day, so there wasn't this large range in real life. If there was some sort of intense light source somewhere, the image would probably look more dramatic.

Also, Photomatix seems to take a lot of experimentation to figure out how to get the look you're after. So, don't stop taking pictures and experimenting. I just think you need to look more closely for shots where HDR processing will enhance the image more. For the most part, these are scenes with large differences between light and dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm 
Man, I actually just deleted the original like a moron :( Sorry about that..But yes, it was taken a little bit before dusk, but there has been no sun all day..Just very grey overcast skies and it sucked...LOL...I'm hoping for better weather soon so I can get better shots.