Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
I have tried to find as much info as I can on the web, but there isn't much. Has anyone seen a good comparison of this lens to the Canon or Nikon 24-70? I shoot Canon, but I know both the Nikon and the Canon are legendary in their lineups, however, I have seen some indications that the Sig may be on par. I am looking to mostly shoot low-light action with this on a 5D Mark II. TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 pm 
Here's one from our forum's own Mike Kobal.

Here's a review of the lens on cropped bodies and another of the lens on full-frame bodies. The consensus seems to be that the lens works great on DX bodies but not so well on FX bodies. On full frame bodies, the Sigma is softer than the Nikon up until f/5.6. At that point, the Sigma appears match the Nikon and occasionally beat it (at 70mm). Not too shabby for a lens that's half the price of the Nikon.

Having shot with the lens on a Canon 50D, I must say that I've got no complaints. It focuses fast, seemed fairly accurate and basically did what it says on the tin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
Thanks for those links. I always forget to check every tab on photozone as they only review lenses by crop factor and body manufacturer. Good information there. Mike's video was one I had already seen, but it seems the results between photozone and Mike are a little different. I would like to know a little more about lenses in use during action, but I guess I will have to determine that for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
You've touched on the reason why I rarely read lens reviews these days. Photozone and similar sites are great for looking at graphs, but MTF charts aren't really applicable to real life photography. I'm always more interested in how well a lens focuses (low light performance, accuracy, speed) as these have a much bigger impact on my photography than having the highest MTF numbers. If I did nothing but view my images at 100% zoom or printed large posters then I might sing a different tune. However as most of what I shoot gets printed on 8x10 and occasionally 12x18, MTF charts don't matter.