Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:11 pm 
What's the best macro lens for a beginner with a d40?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:17 am 

For the D40 you need built-in AF-drive (aka AF-S on a Nikkor or HSM with a Sigma).
Plus it is mandatory, if you mostly do hand-held macros to get IS in the lens. So the logical consequence is to get the micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8 VR. The only stabilized macro you can get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:36 pm 
Thanks! Yeah looks like a good lens but anything a bit cheaper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:01 pm 

If you accept no-stabilized lenses you still have to look out for HSM-lenses from Sigma or AF-S lenses from Nikon. Because unfortunately non of the other micro-Nikkors does auto-focus on the D40/x.
From Sigma there are the 150mm/f2.8 and the 180mm/f3.5 makro HSM. But I'm afraid, they are not much cheaper either.
So only by goig to manual focus will you find real cheap glass, like the Sigma AF 105mm 2.8 EX DG Macro for around half the price of the Nikkor.

Much cheaper is a close-up lens of 2 diopters like the excellent Canon 500D. BUT you need an equally excellent tele-photo lens (or zoom) to put it on. Something in the range of 135-200mm to get to a magnification of around 1:1.5...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 pm 
If I went with the Sigma AF 105mm 2.8 EX DG Macro would the loss of auto focus matter that much when taking Macro photos? Or would it just mean I have to spin a ring for a few seconds and check its in focus? I wouldn't really be taking macro photos outside mainly things like computers chips and hard drives and random items xD (Thanks for all your help btw :D)

Last edited by joebaynham on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 pm 

If you use mostly a tripod and shoot inanimate "things" there is no prob with MF. But if either you or the "thing" is moving, you will desperately need continuous AF... :idea:
(you're welcome!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:50 pm 
I'm in a similar situation in that I own a Nikon D40 and would like to start taking shots of insects and flowers close up. I was considering purchasing the micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8 VR lense. However one thing has totally thrown me in my search. I am after a "macro" lense yet the Nikkor lense is named a "micro". Huh? Why do Nikon name it a micro if it is a macro lense? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:27 am 
The Nikkor Micro lenses ARE macro lenses, this is actually less confusing as unless i am mistaken, Nikon only give this name to "proper" macro lenses, (that is with a 1:1 magnification ratio).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:14 pm 
I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)