Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 am 
Just after any thoughts regarding keeping a DSLR (Canon 500D) safe in a backpack.

See, I have a nice backpack, but it is not a camera backpack. This suits me better, because, well, I've got other stuff that needs to go in there. My current approach is to wrap the camera and telephoto lens up in a hoody, but that is not really a good solution.

With the FZ28, I had a neoprene wrap around case thing. It worked pretty well, and meant I could access the camera quickly. However, given I want to have the camera and at least the 55-250, and maybe a 50mm prime with me, I was wondering if there's anything better.

Again, this is all going to go into my backpack. What this means is it doesn't need to be super rugged, nor really really padded. I want fast access to the camera, and something safer than wrapping in a hoody. Hopefully something not to bulky, so I have room for other stuff.

Asking for the impossible?

Cheers
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:10 am 
I have an old shoulder camera bag that i used to put inside my daypack. Camera goes in that, and the bag goes on top of all the other crap that i carry around.

Works pretty well, but it does take an extra bit of time to unzip the shoulder bag inside the backpack (i sewed some velcro onto it so i could just rip it open). And plus, you can always take it out and use it as a shoulder bag too, if you have to carry something else in your bag (like a jacket or something)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:12 am 

I suppose it depends how much space the other stuff you carry takes up. You could just buy some dividers designed to go into a camera backpack and divide up your existing space.

I had a back pack that was designed to carry a laptop and found a similar problem, no way to secure a DSLR. So I now have a Lowepro Fastpack 350. Space for the laptop, DSLR, lenses, cleaning kit, filters and section for other bits and pieces and you get quick access to the DLSR sliding the pack around your shoulder.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am 
Hi

Take a look at Lowepro's bags for cameras. They are awesome. I have one, one of the bulkiest ones because I like to carry a lot of stuff (camera gear, laptop, food, beverage, etc), but they also have lighter models that may suit your needs.

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Not ... era,16.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 am 

as mentioned above it depends on what else you're gonna carry and where you want the camera... should be easy enough to figure out your packing and then put in some foam dividers for your camera... a base could be added if everything else packed is uneven. So when it comes to packing put in all your stuff then just drop in your dividers with a base on it with your camera and lens(s) inside so they are on top of the pack for easy access when you open it.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:53 am 
You could buy a standalone lens case and just chuck the whole thing in your backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 am 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up going with the 4 Million Dollar Home from Crumpler, which looks like it will do what I need, and doesn't take up much room in the backpack.

Cheers