Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:19 am 
I have a 496 ball head, I'm just looking for some legs...

Has anyone heard much about this tripod? I can't find any decent reviews about it... in the description they say its a tripod for compact DSLR's or Bridge cameras. It holds 7.71 pounds, is that strong enough to hold a canon 40D+70-200F/2.8?

I can't decide weather to get this, the 055, the 190, the 190 carbon, or the 055 carbon.

EDIT: BH Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... Fiber.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:34 pm 

I absolutely hate my 055XB, but then, I don't really like tripods at all. Unless you'll use it primarily for studio-purposes, look into one that's as light and compact as possible. Otherwise, if you're like me, all it will do is get dusty...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm 

I checked into a carbon fiber tripod a few years ago and back then the main concern was rigidity. Carbon fiber is fexable and as such is not as stable as metal... back then that was an issue.. hopefully they have somewhat corrected it.

Use really has a lot to do with it.. if it is for studio work wieght really isnt an issue.. if you are into nature weight is definately an issue.. if you are talking about something that is mobile but you are shooting sports.. keep in mind almost all large sporting venues dont allow tripods.

My personal feeling on carbon fiber tripods is that they are a good comprimise for nature photographers who need a platform when out in nature and on long outings but are concerned about wieght and mobility.... studio photography is much better suited for the most stable ridged tripod you can get your hands on. If you are talking about mobile but still only from car to a close by destination I'd still opt for the stable platform. If you plan on doing a lot of touring/travelling the carbon fiber, due to its wieght, would be the way to go.

At the end of the day I opted for a monopod :shock:

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

I am working on some Manfrotto tripod reviews at the moment, comparing the Alu and CF 055 and 190 legs.