Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 am 
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Can't figure out why but they seemed to have gained contrast between Lightroom and Flickr. All comments welcome, I'm keen to improve on my panning but I don't get to practice often so any advice is appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 am 

Great shots! Good job on the panning effects! :wink:

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
Nice shots. Go Ben Spies!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am 
Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum supermotoxray and here's one of Ben Spies for you:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm 
grahamnp wrote:

Nice shot of Nicky!

Grahamnp, those are awesome pics! I joined this site cuz I'm looking at upgrading a point & shoot (Panasonic Lumix TZ5) to a hybrid because I want to take 'similar' pics such as the ones you have posted. I'm a big MotoGP enthusiast!

I don't want to get a SLR because I think it will be a bit too complicated and out of my price range. Plus I want to travel light. I've narrowed it down to a few hybrids: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28, Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, and the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, maybe even the SX20 IS; (I had considered the Nikon P90, but after reading the review here I decided to eliminate it). If you have another suggestion in a hybrid, please chime in.

This is basically what I'm looking to do:

1. Take action pics, mainly motorcycles at the track (MotoGP, AMA, and local WERA). So I need a bit of zoom 18-20x and capability for fast shutter speed at reasonable zoom, burst would be nice. (Basically what you have posted).

2. Some pics in low light, mainly parties at nightclubs.

3. General indoor pics of family (low light conditions).

4. General vacation pics.

Here is what I know about cameras... Close to nothing. Basically found this site because I wanted to read reviews. I've been reading a few hours now. But I'm a decent learner with a modest to low budget.

Again, those are great pics. I'm a huge Nicky Hayden fan, have been since his AMA runner up then Superbike title. Follow him religiously in MotoGP. I spend most of my time reading and talking about racing, mainly MotoGP, but well versed in AMA & WSBK. Since you were at a GP test, you must have a close connection, do you have a gallery?

Ok, any suggestions for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:44 am 
Great shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 am 

Graham, these shots are awesome... You're a master of panning and the composition is great. Nicely done! :D

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 am 
Thanks very much RacerX, Rexer1200 and Plymer.

RacerX, sorry about the delayed reply.

I have to admit, I don't know much about hybrid PnS cameras, most of my attention goes to the SLRs and cameras like the G11. I wish I could help you more but I don't really know much about those cameras that you have mentioned, perhaps you could repeat your question in the Buying a new camera thread?

Just in case you were looking for a 20x zoom for these kind of shots, I'll just let you know that I took this shot at 135mm (or 200mm in 35mm equivalent) so you really don't need that long a zoom lens if you don't mind limiting yourself to the bikes that are passing immediately in front of you. AF accuracy and speed is quite important so pay attention to that when you are shopping around.

For panning, I think it would be impossible to perform correctly if I didn't have a viewfinder so I would advise you to get a camera with a viewfinder.

I don't really have a formal gallery but I do throw a few random pics onto my Flickr which you can access from the link in my signature.