Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Today Olympus announced its third PEN digital camera, just three months after the E-P2 and eight after the original EP-1. Like those models, the new (and widely leaked) E-PL1 is based on the Micro Four Thirds standard, which packs a DSLR-sized sensor and removeable lens mount into a compact form factor.

The E-PL1 is the smallest of the digital PENs and the first to boast a built-in flash. It also features the accessory port of the EP-2, allowing it to use the optional high resolution viewfinder and external microphone adapter.

Retro styling has been switched for a more modern appearance, the controls and UI simplified and the screen shrunk to 2.7in, but crucially it's the most affordable model yet at $599 USD including a 14-42mm kit lens. It's due in March 2010.

We'd love to hear what you think!

Olympus Australia E-PL1 product page.

Press release

Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) is pleased to announce the introduction of the new Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro Four Thirds System interchangeable lens digital camera.

Positioned as the entry-level model of the PEN series, the Olympus PEN E-PL1 joins the widely acclaimed Olympus PEN E-P1 and E-P2 digital cameras to equip even the most inexperienced of photographers with the ability to take high quality images through its Live Guide interface.

Boasting a compact, light weight form, distinctive design and superior image quality, the new PEN E-PL1 is available in black or champagne gold and is scheduled to go on sale in Australia in March 2010. Pricing is yet to be announced.

Key Features:

• New Live Guide: Specially designed interface that allows for the intuitive adjustment and instant preview of image brightness, colour tone, background defocusing
• New dedicated Movie mode button: For instant access to movie recording in still shooting modes
• Go-anywhere portability: Light, compact body with built-in flash and built-in image stabilisation
• Six Art filters: Includes new Gentle Sepia for enhanced photographic creativity

The new Live Guide screen interface makes it simple for consumers accustomed to using point-and-shoot cameras to apply control over images by providing an intuitive way to adjust brightness, tone, background defocusing and other frequently set image parameters. Users can easily adjust the camera to create pictures to suit their individual style, without having to learn detailed SLR-class photographic techniques and terminology. The light, compact, Micro Four Thirds System design with a built-in flash assures a stress-free transition to a system-camera for ‘first-time’ interchangeable lens camera owners.

Significant new features include a dedicated Movie record button that instantly activates movie recording when the camera is in still shooting mode enabling simple switching between normal picture shooting and movie capture. The i-ENHANCE Picture mode (originally introduced on the PEN E-P2) takes pictures with exceptional clarity, helping to capture the full excitement of a moment. Six Art Filters are also available including a new Gentle Sepia filter that can be applied to movies as well as still-images. Just like its predecessors, the Olympus PEN E-PL1 is equipped with an accessory port that can be used to attach a high-definition VF-2 Live Viewfinder or the SEMA-1 Stereo Microphone Set.

At the heart of the camera, a 4/3-inch, 12.3-megapixel high speed Live MOS Sensor and TruePic V image processing engine provides image quality that rivals that of advanced digital SLR systems.

Features at a glance:
• 4/3-inch, 12.3-megapixel high-speed Live MOS image sensor and newly developed TruePic V image processing engine for high-quality, SLR-class imaging
• Large, easy-to-operate controls with a high degree of customisability
• i-ENHANCE Picture mode for enhanced clarity of main subject in photo
• In-camera image stabilisation that supports a wide range of lenses
• One-touch Enlarge button for easy detail confirmation in Live View
• Wide-area AF for easier framing and focusing
• Multi-exposure function with simultaneous LCD monitor display
• Supports high-quality VF-2 Live Viewfinder and SEMA-1 Stereo Microphone Set
• Choice of four aspect ratios to suit users' creative objectives and display format preferences
• HDMI output for high-quality image and movie playback
• Multi-Mix Slideshow playback with background music
• e-Portrait function for smooth rendering of skin texture
• MF Assist function for manual focusing with auto image magnification
• High-precision 324-zone evaluative metering system
• Proven dust reduction system for worry-free lens changes
• Continuous-tracking AF that locks onto subject and tracks movement in the frame
• Shadow Adjustment Technology to prevent blown highlights and blocked-in shadows

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 am 
It states that the E-PL1 has same sensor as E-620, E-30 will this mean it is superior to E-P1's sensor?

Post subject: Still not really micro
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am 

This is only marginally smaller compared to the olympus E-/420/450

Without the mirror box, this should be even smaller. I'll await a smaller one, as a E420/450 is still a better size/value ratio proposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm 

This seems a reasonable evolution, and what they need to do to push into the mainstream. Hopefully that'll get volumes up and prices down further particularly in lenses.

As an E-P1 owner I'm not feeling any urge to get one as it doesn't offer anything new I want at this time. Maybe the E-PL2 will be more interesting...

If it got much smaller you'd run out of space to fit anything on it. From Olympus specs its about 15mm less wide, 19mm shorter and 9mm thinner than E-420. Doesn't seem insignificant to me. The lack of mirror box only potentially saves you depth, but of course that doesn't affect the rest of the stuff that needs to go inside the camera. Realistically to go much smaller than this, they'll have to start cutting features like image stabilisation.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
It states that the E-PL1 has same sensor as E-620, E-30 will this mean it is superior to E-P1's sensor?

The E-P1 is newer then those 4/3 dslrs and already has a better image quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
The accessories and the flash make the camera quite a decent all rounder I think eventhough the flash looks like it could snap off very easily. Hope the performance is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 pm 
I am impressed. It is being described as essentially having nearly everything the EP-2 has, but in a cheaper plastic body.

I'd expected that they'd omit manual controls, or omit video... they did not omit much of anything.

Only 2 negatives so far:

1) There is a bargain basement LCD screen on the back. It's not AMOLED, it isn't even a high resolution LCD. It's just an off the shelf cheap LCD.

2) The US is only getting 3 body color choices, while the rest of the world gets many more, including white (my favorite).

And 1 sacrifice that I feel is inconsequential:

1) They sacrificed one of the microphones -- it is down to mono now. But, you can still plug in the EP-2's microphone adapter gizmo once that becomes available, which chances are you'd be doing anyway since built-in microphones pick up too much camera noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 pm 
Having watched the CNET preview (n which I am again reminded that someone needs to give that editor a free makeover, or at least a leather jacket or something to up her cool factor) I am interested in the new menu concept.

The beginner menu, dubbed "iAuto mode", interests me. Renaming aperture as "background blur" and renaming shutter speed as "express motion" or somesuch is intriguing.

Since it appears that the lens doesn't have a manual aperture dial, it doesn't really matter what these settings are called anymore.

I am glad the manual controls, presumably with the traditional names, still exist, though.

It appears -- and perhaps the CameraLabs review will investigate this point -- that the only difference between the iAuto mode and the regular modes, beyond the name, is that the camera will give a live-preview of the motion blur from the "express motion" setting if you're in the iAuto mode.

I assume -- ? -- that a live-preview of the depth of field from the aperture, er, "background blur" setting may be presented whether one is in beginner mode or in manual mode... that is a question I want to know the answer to. It would be very good to have a live preview of the depth of field. But perhaps that too is only previewed when one is in iAuto mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm 
I'm unhappy ... I paid $500 extra for a camera that Oly could have easily squeezed in a built-in flash. As of now, I'm not sure if the EP2 has any advantage over the EPL1 other than the EVF and a more "cool" looking style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm 
Armanius wrote:
I'm unhappy ... I paid $500 extra for a camera that Oly could have easily squeezed in a built-in flash. As of now, I'm not sure if the EP2 has any advantage over the EPL1 other than the EVF and a more "cool" looking style.

....And the EVF also works on the E-PL.

Post subject: Getting closer!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 am 

I keep looking for a modern replacement for the Canon Pro 1. The EPL-1 is the closest yet, but now it needs a good travel lens with a little speed. The announced 14-150 f/4-5.6 is too slow. Something more like a 14-100 f/2.8-4 would be perfect. :D I'd still want the 17 f/2.8 for pocketability, but probably wouldn't travel with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 am 
Now we're getting somewhere :-) This is an interesting offering..find specs and an approachable price. If they keep it up, I might have to buy one as a "take everywhere" camera.

Oh and a warm welcome to the forum Gerald W

Cheers :-)

Post subject: Excellent direction
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 am 
Nice surprise on the price. The missing bits all make sense and aren't huge problems for this price range. I'm thinking I might buy this for my wife in the not too distant future. Good job by Olympus to push on the P/S market!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 am 

The idea of the EPL-1 with a travel lens is exciting to me; but it brings another thought. Why not a fixed zoom as I described above. With no mount it would save both weight and cost and maybe some bulk. Make it compatible with the EPL-1 accessories.

What do others think of this? :? I see it as the modern equivalent of the Olympus C series and the Canon Pro 1.

LahLahSr, thatnks for the welcome. I've been visiting this site for years, and the this new camera finally brought me to the forums.

Canon XSi, 18-135 IS, 35 f/2, 55-250 IS, S5IS, S90, G7, 420EX, 270EX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:58 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
• Wide-area AF for easier framing and focusing

But how fast is it? That's where Pany has had an edge over Oly.

Mark