Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 pm 
Apple just announced Ipad today. Do you think it is productive or a hindrance especially for photographers?

It is priced reasonably at $500, 9.7" multi touchLCD screen.

I can see it as a tool for photographers to show their works or for checking image in the middle of photoshoot.

What do you think guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm 

$500 is for the basic model. It only goes up from there.

The following is from a photographer's perspective:

While I can appreciate the desire for SSD, the storage of the base model seems somewhat limiting at 16GB. So that largely rules it out as a photo backup device for all but the shortest trips. I don't know how much thickness the screen itself takes up, but would it be too far a stretch to slide a HD in there too? Actually, is there even a way to get stuff from a camera onto it? USB? Card reader? I know it has wireless, but most cameras don't...

10 hour battery life sounds good. No worries about finding power.

1024x768 screen. Adequate for the size. I can't see serious photoshopping on this even if you throw on an external peripherals, if you can even get photoshop on it. Custom CPU. Probably wont have the grunt to do much useful.

Would be ok as a casual display of work I suppose, but that'll be one expensive photo frame.

Thinking not as a photographer:

It's not that small. A netbook with the same size screen might be thicker, but you get a keyboard and choice of a spinning rust device which can hold a ton of data. And it'll be far cheaper.

It'll be great for web browsing I suppose. If you use an on screen keyboard much you just lost a load of screen.

Is it me, or is this just an overgrown iphone without the phone?

It might challenge ebook readers, but I have no idea what the competition is like there.

Overall for me personally:
If I need the net on the go in a small size, I'd rather have a netbook.
I can (and have) run photoshop on a netbook. Ok, the screen doesn't make it fun, but it works.
I have 120GB of storage in my netbook.
My netbook battery does suck. 2 hours web usage. I never did get the extended battery. Newer netbooks are far improved from my old one.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:10 pm 

The screen is good, but a proper laptop would be much more useful on a shoot IMO. This tablet is basically an overgrown Iphone by the looks of it, with Iphone apps. At least with a laptop you can run proper software on it, not to mention tethering your camera in a studio environment. Laptops can also have much higher res. screens.

EDIT: Popo, you took the words out of my mouth.

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr

Last edited by mikek75 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Initially it looks like a cool device, but I honestly wonder if there is a market for tablets. Remember a selection of tablets and hybrids (which could twist and turn into a laptop) were launched years ago to general apathy. Sure, they're right at home in wealthy top-end schools or IT R&D centres, but I can't see them being popular with existing phone or laptop owners, nor appeal to anyone who doesn't have either at the moment. Plus the current economic climate doesn't exactly help the launch of what is a luxury addition to gear people already own. But then again it's good to see any tech company investing and launching a 'big' product in such times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 pm 

Turning it around a bit, what would be the "killer app" for it to make it an essential accessory for a photographer?

Let's take its selling point: touch screen. Is there some use that could be put to for a photographer which offers new or improved usability over traditional laptops or even other external devices?

All I can think of right now is possibly some "super remote" function. Ideally it would have higher resolution screen for this application, but imagine a really high resolution remote live view, with enough space on screen to allow control of settings. While this can be done on traditional laptops, it lacks a certain "it just works"-ness about it.

On Gordon's note of earlier attempts at tablet PCs, we have one of those at work for testing. No one ever used the tablet function on it as far as I'm aware. They just borrow it for use as a regular laptop. Now in part this is due to the old technology. It wasn't touch sensitive in the same way - you had to use the stylus which inevitably got lost. Weight was also an issue which would not be in this case. Carrying it around, however thin it is, will still be dominated by the area so no great advantage there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:39 pm 

I reckon Apples' missed a trick here. If the screen was pressure as well as touch sensitive it would be a great tool with something like the adjustment brushes in Lightroom. But they should have built it with Snow Leopard and a proper processor IMO.

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 pm 

It's always a tough call on how much feature and cost to put in. A full x86 architecture would likely present heat and life issues, needing bigger battery, more size, more weight. iSlab?

Imagine something like the MacBook Air or Pro, ditch the keyboard and fix the screen tablet style. Replaced with touch sensitive version of course. Everyone would want one then, except for the price...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm 

Yeah, but with one of those Intel ULV processors it would mitigate the heat and battery life issues to a degree.

Its just too proprietry for me, but then I refuse anything Apple for that reason...

I'd pay a grand plus for a tablet with a pressure/touch screen and W7 though.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 pm 
There is a post in Gizmodo about why Ipad sucks here:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/

the one that significant for us maybe is it require adapter to connect to memory cards and other stuff. Even USB port needs an adapter.

no multitasking so we can't switch between program. <-- big NOO

a friend of mine mention that the screen is not hi-res enough to show quality of our photos 123 ppi if i'm not mistaken.

plus the limited 16GB is never sufficient for photo storing.

I guess we need to pass on this gadget. It is not for us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 pm 

If I could run DPP on it and stream the camera liveview, I would be very tempted indeed...

I find it hard to think of another use for it at the moment though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 am 
I've been having this discussion with friends all day. Here are the problems with the iPad as I see it.

1) It runs a modified iPhone OS. That means (as of now), you can't run multiple concurrent apps, you can't install your own software if it isn't on the app store, you're severely limited in terms of customization and in terms of performance modification. You're locked out of almost EVERY important system. This also means you won't be able to just hook up a camera and use it as an external drive or controller.

2) You're locked out of the hardware. It has non-removable 64GB storage (at the MAXIMUM), a non-removable battery, and no way to access outside media (i.e. CD/DVD). You will theoretically (eventually) get access to remote storage via USB/WiFi, but that won't be directly Apple supported and will be through an app or hack of some kind.

3) The 140,000 apps currently on the app store are MOSTLY useless. I own an iPhone and can count on one hand the number of apps I actively use. Sure, I've got 30+ currently installed, but most get used very rarely.

4) Typing on a touch screen is OK for a phone, but would be terrible for word processing. That basically rules it out as any kind of laptop replacement (if you're considering that, which even Apple tells you it isn't.) Its slow, you have to look at your hands because you have no tactile difference between where keys end and where keys begin. So try typing up a long email or a paper/report on a touchscreen, and you'll end up spending far longer than you should.

5) Touchscreen gaming isn't that good most of the time. Ya, they're trying to reach out to gamers, but honestly, as a huge gamer myself, I don't want your app store games on a $500+ piece of hardware. I'd better be able to play my retail games, when I want them. Also, has anybody else tried a first person shooter on their iphone/itouch? I have, it isn't good. Without an actual button/stick to control where you're aiming it can be very difficult, let alone accidentally repositioning a finger off of where your "fire" button used to be and realizing that you can't shoot the bad guy running straight at you. There are only a few types of games that "work" on touchscreen right now: puzzles, cards, sudoku-type games, and top down strategy (such as tower defense). Maybe a decent racer here and there. Outside that, touchscreens are a long shot from a console, hand held, or PC for gaming.

6) eBook readers are BETTER for eBooks. Why? eInk, plain and simple. Reading on an LCD, even the best LCD's, is tiresome. Your eyes get tired very quickly. I don't want to sit at my desk and read a novel on my monitor. Its hard enough to read through a long blog post without the eyes getting a bit strained. This is not the Kindle killer (the Nook wasn't even the Kindle killer for that matter.) If you want to do eBooks, you're better off with a Kindle (or Nook, or whatever your fancy is, but probably the Kindle).

7) You don't have enough control with capacitive touchscreens at this point. They showed off the "Brushes" app, and it did look pretty good. But since you can't use a stylus, your finger is what you've got. And there's a reason fine artists (and computer artists) use a brush/pen/pencil or Wacom tablets rather than their mice or their finger - its much much much MUCH more controllable and much much much MUCH more precise. Plus touchscreens aren't 100% accurate in determining WHERE you put down your finger. Its usually pretty close, but pretty close isn't always good enough. And honestly, unless you have TINY fingers, your finger takes up a fairly large amount of screen real estate, so your touch area is fairly large as well. Meaning trying to do precise or intricate actions is very difficult.

OK, so that's all the bad stuff. Some good stuff?

1) That NYT app looks good. I must admit I liked seeing the newspaper LOOK like a newspaper. The embedded video and popout photos were pure gravy.

2) Watching video will be great. I like the idea of having a 64gb video player to take around with me, that I can also check my email/do web browsing on. But not for $700+ thanks. EDIT: The bad part here is its a 4:3 display...not even widescreen? Whats up with that? Who uses 4:3 for ANYTHING anymore??? I'm moving video to an inbetween category...

3) Better iTunes functionality is key if you're talking about using it as a replacement (or sometimes replacement) laptop. Having good control over media is a nice touch (though not really necessary).

4) A cheap 3G plan (with "unlimited data") means that with some hacking you'll probably see tethering capability. And you'll be less likely to get in trouble for it than tethering your iPhone (or other smartphone without tethering plan).

5) The form factor. This is personally the BEST thing about the iPad for me. I love the size and weight, and how thin it is. I really hope we see some Windows tablets replicate this, because with this form factor and Windows7, I could see myself actually going for a tablet.

As some others have said, all this is, really, is a large iPod Touch with the possibility of running iWork. There is pretty much nothing this can do that the iTouch/iPhone can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 am 
The biggest faults IMO are....

-No USB ports built in

-No Video output (apple could have at least included a mini display port)

-No Camera for Video Chat

-Should have been closer to a 16:9 ratio screen rather than a 4:3

-No Built in SD reader (if it had a built in CF reader I'd buy it right now)

-Needs a higher-res screen (it has less ppi than iPhone)

Its cool, but I can't see myself not using it very much. I mean, the gap between the iPod touch and laptop really isn't that big. If I could plug it into my MBP and use it as a tablet in Photoshop that would sell it for me right there.

But overall I would much rather buy a Macbook Air... Give the Macbook Air a touch sensitive/swivel display and keep it under 1000$ and then we'll talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 am 
This is a blog post from Digital Rev (store based on Hong Kong) about why this thing is great for photographers.

http://blog.digitalrev.com/2010/01/28/5 ... ographers/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:08 am 

At first glance I can see the iPad as a useful device as a cookbook in the kitchen (as long as it has a wipe clean screen). A book reader in bed (no additional lighting required) and a quick reference point in the lounge (no need to have a laptop or desktop set up for quick access to the web or email).

I can see it also being handy as a kiosk device for shopping centres and a guide book for tourist attractions (instead of the talking guides). Might also work in doctor and dentist waiting rooms, instead of piles of magazines, although the potential for storing and transmitting germs would be high.

As others have said I would probably invest in a laptop for photography use as the storage would be much larger as well as the range of post processing applications.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am 

Laptop Magazine has produced 11 Features Other Tablets Can Use to Flatten the iPad. Not sure how well the iPad would stand up to the average photographer's backpack either.

With laptops such as the Asus UL30A or the Toshiba T135 (to name but two of many) offering similar battery life and an LED backlit display I wouldn't want to lock myself into proprietary and limited software.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.