Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Which Lens
Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Zeiss 135 f1.8 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Sony 70-200 f2.8 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm 
Actually this discussion has spiked an interest in me and presented an interesting question. Comparing the CZ 24-70 to the minolta 50mm 1.7.

What is the difference in overall image quality of a picture taken at 50mm on both lenses? Does the prime still win due to its fixed optics? Or does the quality of the CZ lens engineering (costing 1500% more than the prime) win out. Of course, we aren't considering the convenience of the zoom, (which is considerable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:48 pm 
ClayC wrote:
Actually this discussion has spiked an interest in me and presented an interesting question. Comparing the CZ 24-70 to the minolta 50mm 1.7.

What is the difference in overall image quality of a picture taken at 50mm on both lenses? Does the prime still win due to its fixed optics? Or does the quality of the CZ lens engineering (costing 1500% more than the prime) win out. Of course, we aren't considering the convenience of the zoom, (which is considerable).

At F/2.8, I'm willing to bet the CZ would win. I just didn't find the 50/1.7 all that sharp. It's great for $100, but you can only expect so much.

The 50/1.4 would give the CZ a better run for its money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:44 am 

it's probably a process of elimination.

135 mm prime would require a lot of physical space to take the same set up shots as your 50 mm. Imagine trying to take shots of the bride getting ready in her home - i assume the 50 mm is what you would typically use in that space. now imagine using a 135 mm to take the same shots.

70 - 200 mm would be good for close up candid shots during the wedding/reception. however, since you are moving around alot, when you would typically move in for shots, now you'll probably will be moving back more. it's a similar situation to using a 135mm prime but in a room full of guests.

24 - 70 mm would give you more opportunity to shoot the setting, ie church, wedding table, garden, reception area.

call me crazy, but i like the idea of using 35 - 105 mm. (i have a 28-105 mm which i use for shooting ballroom dancing in a dimly lit banquet hall. it has a really nice range since there is no time for switching lenses.)

so my suggestion is to look into a faster lens with the range that you are currently using. maybe a 24 - 105 ? Sorry to make the decision more difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:25 am 
Just to clarify, I mainly shoot Hindu weddings, and I plan on doing a small write up of what that typically entails and how it differs from traditioanl weddings. Stay tuned!

I haven't bought the lens yet as I have to wait on someone trustworthy (emphasis there) to go to a sonystyle story and buy the lens. Reason is that the courier I use doesn't insure anything over 1000 USD. That's a mighty risk to take when shipping since the lens + taxes (I get taxed, broken or not) would be closer to 2000 USD.

So, I literally have to just wait until a friend/myself takes a trip to the states.

As for which lens I'm getting, I still have no clue :lol: ... I could go in any direction :lol: