Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 am 
I bought the camera a month ago along with the battery grip. I have a bunch of Canon lenses from the days of film, I have the EOS-1 which I still use with film

I bought the camera and sold the kit lens for a hundred bucks because I seldom if ever use zoom lens. I have canon 24mm f 2.8, 50mm f1.8. 85mm f1.2L, 100-200mm f4.

I really like this camera even though it lacks spot metering but with the battery grip and lithium ion AA battery I can constantly use the liveview and lcd and the batteries last forever! It's been a month of heavy use and the battery is still full!

I seldom use auto white balance unless it's sunny out and often use Whitebal Pocket and the result is as close as possible with the RAW file.

Very sharp images, sharper than the 450D, even my friends are surprised at the results! I photographed my girlfriend in a cafe with window light coming to the side of her face,and the pictures turns out fantastic! she uploaded the pictures on her facebook and many of her friends loved the pictures. One of her friend wanted to get to know me so that he can learn natural light photo because he also has the 1000d but couldn't produce great pictures as I did.

If you know what you are doing and know the limitations of this camera and exploits what it can do, I doubt that anybody can tell the difference between the pictures taken with 1000d(using decent prime lenses like mine) and the 500D.

Only weakness is overexposure with contrasing subject, mentioned in dpreview but with experience you can either ev -1 or bracket your shots, check the histogram(learn how to read it), or shoot in raw and edit later if critical result is what you are after.

the remote control feature is great(it comes with the Solution Disk!)great for preparing a photo session,checking white balance, color, etc with your computer or laptop and defaults to your preferred editing software(I like the picture style and the professional photo editor that comes with the disk)

A good learning tool!

Post subject: questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:39 am 
if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer, I'm still learning and I can tell you what it can or can't do. for one thing, it takes great, sharp pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:00 pm 
Can you post a photo, so I can compare and may be ask some questions how to compose the right shot :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 am 
Hi,
I am planning to buy a Canon 1000D for myself. But, my uncle has a Canon SLR with a couple of lenses and 2x extender. It was probably purchased in the 80's (early) long before I was born.
So, can I use those old lenses to the 1000D? Is the jack still the same? Can an adapter do the job?
The lenses are in excellent condition and I don't feel like wasting them!
Thanks in advance.
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 am 
Hi frolf,
You have got a nice collection of primes :) They will sure help you out in getting stunning results :wink:

@ Pixel19: You have some pretty nice shots in your gallery :)