Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photos from the air
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:32 am 
Hi all!

Only my second ever thread so bear with me! I just wanted to say that I love those photos you get from the plane as you travel off to an exotic location somewhere...and I wondered if anyone else had any to share! The three I took below were only on a small compact camera, so the picture quality isn't great (especially since I had to resize them), but the views were incredible.

This was the engine of course!

This was where we flew over my house, which looks out directly over this bay

And this was the sunset just over the coast of Egypt from 35,000ft.

Anyway they ain't great but you get the idea!

Chris

Last edited by ellyattc on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am 
The last one is beautiful. You can even see the curvature of the earth!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:17 pm 
Great pictures! I dont know why, but I always liked the ones from or about the airplanes.

I'll post some pics here too, though a bit later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:51 pm 
Great pics!
Like 2 and 3..but I must say the clearity of such pics depends a lot on how 'clean' the windows of the planes are !
You must have got on a pretty 'clean' one !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:37 pm 
getting ready
say cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:12 pm 
Quote:
The last one is beautiful. You can even see the curvature of the earth!!!

Thanks! Yeah I noticed that when I set it as my desktop background, and I wondered at first if it might have been just distortion because of the lens, but I checked my "land" photos, and the horizons were straight on them! Anyway I didn't realise you could see curvature from normal comercial aircraft, but I will look out for it in future :D .

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:44 pm 

ellyattc wrote:
...I didn't realise you could see curvature from normal commercial aircraft...

Sort of. With all the lack of rigour of any "back of a fag packet" calculation, assume a horizon 180 miles away with an aircraft
6 miles up (rough and ready but the order of magnitude is about right). As you are looking down on a horizon which is a circle
of radius 180 then, at 30° from the direction the camera is pointing in, if you drop a perpendicular from the horizon at that
30° offset to the line of sight of the camera then the intersection is about 160 miles away (180*cos(30)). Draw a straight line
from the horizon 180 miles away to both the aircraft 6 miles up and the ground immediately below it. The angle subtended
has a tangent of 6/180 which is about 1.909°. Similarly, the angle subtended from a point 160 miles away is about
2.148°. This is a difference of about ¼°, which is about half the angular diameter of the Sun or Moon.

The effect in your shot looks to be about equivalent to the full angular diameter of the Sun. If your lens can see to 40°
either side of central then a full angular diameter is about right and I've made myself unpopular because nobody likes a
smart arse. :evil:

So, what was the field of view of your lens? Any less than 40° and we might have to blame a little of the effect on
either optically bad window glass or my rubbish calculation. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:04 pm 
Wow I was worried for a moment when you asked that question, but clicking "properties" on the photo actually told me it was from my Dad's Casio Exilim 7mp EXZ 750.

I couldn't find what the range is for the camera anywhere on the internet unfortunately! But it seems to be quite wide when used, maybe equivalent to 28mm on film SLR.

Anyway there's the info!

UPDATE: Found out this camera is equivalent to 38-114mm on a 35mm SLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 pm 

Hi Chris,

Well, 28mm focal length on a 35mm film camera corresponds roughly to a horizontal field of view of 66° (±33°) so maybe
there's a tiny bit of distortion from the window glass in play as well as curvature of the Earth. Certainly, to my eye, the
horizon does seem to take a slightly more rapid dip down near the left hand edge.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:13 pm 
Hey, as promised i've got some pics from my last trip to switzerland.
Nothing really special, but why not to share, right? :-)

So, Swiss airlines - Prague-Geneve...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:56 pm 
Ah I had a look at that last picture in full, Oleg (?), and I love those blues as they gain depth up towards space.

I know I can't explain this in words but there is just something about those photos being on the edge of space that I jsut love :D

Oh and to Bob, thanks for the information, I know what you mean about the drop on the left side, but I checked using a grid alignment, and both sides are actually the same; I think the illusion is actually created by the wing blocking out part of the view from the right side.

But anyway its probably 40% distortion 60% curvature to me at the moment, whatever it is it makes a good affect!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:10 pm 
Thank Chris, yeah my name is Oleg :)

I also liked it, thats why it is posted

See you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:04 am 
Site Admin

Nice idea for a thread Chris - I've got some I'll post later.. Sometimes photos from plane windows can be terrible, but at other times it just works and can look fantastic!

PS - any chance you could resize your images to a maximum of 700 pixels wide though so not to break the frame? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:48 am 
Thanks for that reply Gordon, I've resized the photos now and they stay within the screen :)

Anyway I just thought I'd add a couple more...the first is just of me and my two step brothers, so you knew who I am! I am the one at the top in the middle, looking stlightly concerned that I'd packed everything!

The second photo I found whilst browsing through is of mountains in Greece or Turkey I think. Anyway what I loved about this photo, if you have a look, is that you can notice what appears at first to be reflection off the window, but is actually the fuselage of the plane reflecting off that shiny engine!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:42 am 
no more pic please you are makeing me want to go on holiday lol :lol:
i'm just joking post as many as you can i like all of them very nice .