Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 30D
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm 

Newbee to forum:
Well, been waiting about a year to plunge into DSLR. Was going to go Nikon D200; friend's recommendations and the fact that I used to shoot Nikon F2 35mm film (years ago). Have shot Sony non-DSLR to now.
So recently, looking at tons of reviews and reading all I can find on the internet about DSLRs, I am leaning towards the Canon EOS 30D. I want to build a system for long term. "Probably" eventually also purchase a pro DSLR (not anytime soon).
Some of my reasons for leaning to Canon now: Other friends, pros, who shoot Canon. The processor providing less noise at higher ISOs. Nikon D200 is obviously impressive but long term will the Canon EOS systems, starting with the 30D, provide more versatility, picture quality, photo happiness?

Along with the above, if indeed you respond saying go 30D, I read your recommendations to go with the 17-85 IS lens. Would you make a recommendation another step up, perhaps in hi-dollar lens that would be even more versatile.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi CL David, welcome to the Cameralabs forums...

I don't like to put people off something they've already shortlisted, but while the EOS 30D is a great DSLR, it is coming to the end of its marketing lifespan and is expected to be updated by a '40D' in the next six months or so. I'd expect something like the XTi / 400D in the 30D build quality with 5fps shooting, but this is just a guess.

Since the 30D was such a minor update of the 20D, and since Nikon has really taken over the mid-range market in my opinion, I'd say the 30D is looking very weak right now.

So if you wanted a mid-range Canon, I'd wait if you can for its replacement, even if only to get a 30D at a cheaper price. Alternatively consider the D80 or D200 if you want to start shooting right now!

If you go down the Canon route, the 17-85mm is a great general purpose zoom, but there are better quality lenses if you want another step-up. Sadly most don't have the same kind of range though. You could, say, get the 24-105mm L, but it won't be as wide as the 17-85mm. Or the 17-40mm L, which may be as wide, but isn't as long. There's always compromises!

If you do decide to go with the 30D, it's still a great DSLR, but just bear in mind its successor is expected this year...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:06 am 

First, I really like your site Gordon. With the reviews and forums, it's a great place for information.

Thanks for your response as well. Shoot (no pun intended), this decision making about a dSLR is tough. The research boggles, esp. when you compare all the specs, etc. That is why it's good to have you experts, cause you know what this stuff means and you test them. It almost sounds like one could toss a coin.

My last SLR was a Nikon F2; still have it actually. Loved it and thought I'd always be a Nikon guy. But, being pragmatic, there are good points to both Canon and Nikon

Anyway, you brought up a very good point about jumping in now vs. waiting go a newer model to come out. That has helped.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:56 am 

When I was buying my D80 I had narrowed the search down to the 30D or the D80. In the end they were the same price. The only way I could chose between the cameras was holding them in a camera shop. I went into one and took some test photos with both cameras. I preferred the way the Nikon felt in my hand and the view through the viewfinder. That's what sold it to me. YMMV so you should try the camera out yourself. Something else to bear in mind is what lenses you have for your current Nikon. If you have a decent selection it may be better to stick with a Nikon body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:15 pm 

I've been going backwards and forwards between the Nikon D80 and D40, but deep down I knew that if I would have got the D40 I think I would one day soon regretted not getting the D80! Anyway, instead of thinking about which camera to get I started thinking about the kind of lens I want instead. I definitely want a wide angle with zoom, but do I really want the 18-200mm VR as excellent as it is? So I started looking at Canon lenses and when I saw the 17-85mm IS it caught my breath because I thought that would be a perfect all-round focal range for me.

So now I'm thinking about the Canon D30 coupled with the 17-85mm IS lens and one of the best places for cameras in HK has this kit for 750 pounds, which is dead on my budget. There's another place, where the prices are usually slightly lower and has a really good reputation so I'm going to see how much they have the kit for.

I know the 30D is dated and the 40D will come along, but I think for me, upgrading from a point and shoot, this will be the perfect package. If Nikon made a 17-85mm VR it would be a different story of course, but they don't. For me it's about the lens.

Mark

My Squidoo lens - Images of China

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:41 pm 

Whoa, D30 plus 17-85 IS for 750GBP. that looks like quite a deal! The cheapest German deal I could find was for 1350EUR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:28 pm 

I know, it's great! I looked at Jessops in the UK and they've got the same kit for GBP 980. I always assumed the 30D would have been out of my budget so I never really considered it. Then I started looking into the 17-85mm lens and saw the deal in HK. I've read loads of reviews today on the 30D and it sounds excellent and will suit me perfectly so that's the one I'm going for.

This is the website of the place in HK:
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/

There's another good one too called http://www.wingshingphoto.com/ but their website isn't up and running yet. I'm waiting for a quote back from them on the same kit and I'm expecting it to be even lower than Tin Cheung's.

You've got to be really careful in HK, but I've done loads of research and these two come up time and time again as being highly recommended for quality products, service and prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, the 30D is a great camera, but remember it WILL almost certainly be replaced later this year. Of course the differences may be minor, but it's my duty to let you know!

There's always a new camera coming, but the '40D' or whatever Canon will call it may only be 3 or 4 months way now...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 pm 

Hi Gordon! Thanks for that, I appreciate it, but I'm too impatient to wait another few months:) I'm sure the 40D will be amazing, but it'll be new and expensive and it'll have even more bells and whistles for me to get my head around. I think this way I'll be getting a great kit at a great price and above all, it's a tried and tested formula that's been out ages with a ton of professional and user reviews to back it up. I think the step up from a Canon PNS to the 30D will be a big enough and most sensible step for me right now. That's if I don't go and change my bloody mind again!!

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way and I'll always end up with behind-the-times equipment, but I'm thinking I can use the 30D now with the 17-85mm and then in the future I can experiment with additional lenses and filters and flash units that will be future-compatible and then by the time I'm ready to upgrade the next time around, I'll have a great collection of accessories and I'll be able to buy the latest, greatest body-only. Well, that's today's concept:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:20 pm 

Yup, Mark, that's a good way to go!
Only thing: You're than locked into Canon. But that in and by itself is not a bad thing at all...