Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 am 
I have just bought a Panasonic ZS3 and I was hoping I could plug it into a monitor to allow remote viewing of any pictures or video I might be taking, in real time.

Another application would be for radio controlled aerial photography where the camera would be mounted on an RC aircraft, plugged into a transmitter to allow real time viewing of what the camera is pointed at while taking stills or video.

I've tried plugging it into the TV but all I can see are photos and video in playback.

Am I missing something? Can the camera/cable be modded to allow this?

Any help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

The TZ7 / ZS3 can output what you see live on the screen through its TV and HDMI outputs, BUT Panasonic normally disables this function on all its cameras. To enable it, press and hold down the trash button for about five seconds.

Unfortunately the live signal will only be output in NTSC mode though, so you will need a TV, transmitter or recorder which can handle NTSC signals. Make sure you also switch the TV mode to NTSC in the camera's play menus.

Unfortunately there's no way I know of triggering the camera by remote control, so even if you could see what the camera was seeing, you wouldn't be able to take a photo or video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 am 
Gordon,
Thanks, that's a big help.
One problem though. I can use the stills function without any problem, the TV behaves exactly as the LCD does.
However, when I hit the video record button I just get a black screen, so what am I missing?
I've searched all the menus in both record and playback modes and I can't find any function for switching between NTSC and PAL, or any other mode that might enable video viewing.
I only have the standard AV cable that comes with the camera. Surely, I don't need to use the HDMI socket to view video on my TV.
Any ideas?

Concerning the triggering of the shutter button, I will just use a servo on a free radio channel to activate the shutter when it is mounted in its gimbal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have the camera to hand, but many will blank their TV outputs as soon as you start recording video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 pm 
Bummer, I'll have to tack on my external cmos camera if that's the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:54 am 
Site Admin

Suffice it to say if you do strap this or any other camera to a radio controlled plane, we want to see the results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 am 
Here you go for starters.
Not a plane, but here's the link to my Quadrocopter build which is progressing at a steady pace:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145497

Tomorrow I am going to start on the pan mount and servo control linkage and also the shutter control servo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Keep us updated - looks like a really interesting project!