Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:56 am 
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with creating slideshows for their own website? I registered my own domain markamy.com (nothing there yet...setting up hosting now) a couple of years ago just for fun and because it was available, but never actually got round to find a good reason to use it! Now I figure I may as well use it for hosting some of my best pics...a small website in other words :)

I've been looking at a few photographic portfolio websites recently and I really like the ones that use just a plain black background with the main image dead centre and then thumbnails at the bottom...I think keeping it simple has more impact when it comes to pics.

I've had a look at some of the software available and of course the free ones have their advertising on them so I don't want that, but the paid ones all seem to have really elaborate designs, which seem to overpower the actual images.

I'm currently doing an online Dreamweaver course so that I can do the website myself, but I'm not sure whether to go down the road of a Flash slideshow or stick with HTML. They say that 97% of Internet users have Flash installed so audience wise, that's good, but then sometimes I look at Flash sites and some of them take so bloody long to load I give up and click on others!

I guess if I used Flash I'd have to make sure I kept the swf files really small so that they load quickly or would HTML be a lot quicker and more convenient for others to view?

Hope all this rambling makes sense! Any advice or tips anyone?

Post subject: Coppermine
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:35 am 

Hi Mark,

Have you looked at Coppermine? It powers Frank Doorhof's portfolio site. If you want to go straight to one of the "slideshows" then start at this page.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 am 
Hi Bob, no, I hadn't come across that before...it looks really interesting. The format for the individual slideshows is definitely what I'm looking for and they seem to load really quickly too.

I will look into this more and report back.

Thanks so much for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm 
Update:

Well I looked into Coppermine, but got really confused with all the PHP and MySQL and couldn't find any decent idiot guide tutorials for setting it up so I gave up with that one!

Anyway, I have now found one I like and is really customisable called Fotoplayer, available from http://www.fotoplayer.com It's still all a bit confusing with it being Flash and using php files and I've had to switch my hosting over from Windows to Linux to be able to use it properly, but the design is looking good so fingers crossed it all comes together OK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 pm 
If you have LightRoom, check this out:

Slideshow Pro for Flash or for LightRoom.

http://tinyurl.com/29vlnn

http://tinyurl.com/ywbam9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:51 am 
I know lightroom is able to export a webpage that can display an image with thumbnails of your other images below it. I don't think it can integrate a slideshow into that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 am 
You might want to check out JAlbum http://jalbum.net/
It works great, is totally free, and runs on Mac, Win, Linux, and others.