Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Macro shots on the fz38
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:10 am 
hi folks,

Ive had the Fz38 as a xmas present and so far so good. I've never had a digital camera and only ever used my phone camera for pics.

one thing i would like to take advantage is the macro facility but i havent a clue about it.

Ive experimented by getting really close to an object/flowers but i though i could us the "macro zoom" option but i cant find it....

my 1st question would be is the Raynox DCR-250 lens any good? and would that be better than the panasonic own adapter?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Look up the macro section in the manual - while the scene detection should automatically switch it to macro, you may want to set it manually. Remember the closest focusing will also be with the lens zoomed-out. if you zoom-in, you'll need to stand back, but this can still be preferrable in preventing shadows or getting too close to insects you'd prefer to keep your distance from!

I think it's pretty good without any adapters - certainly give it a try for a while before buying any new parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:05 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
I think it's pretty good without any adapters

I can second that. It's macro capabilities are very adequate.
Whilst I did purchase a UV filter, the only reason was to protect the lens. Should one accidently damage or scratch the lens, the camera is basically rendered useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 pm 
thanks folks for the advice.

The manual says that you can get to 1cm from the object. Obviously i cant always get that close (insects!) so i need to ask a dum question.

Can i get closer than 1cm? like if i wanted to zoomed in to a flys head or something smaller?

or will i need the adaptor i mention?

thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 am 
Hi omac,
first let me congrats you that you are buying a very good camera.I have also that one.
Ok now macro zoom can be used in normal/progrmme/aparature priority/shutter priority mode,there is a button on the camera very close to the shutter button.through that you can select the normal macro /macro zoom. but it's tough to get the insects steadily on the camera.What i know about that Raynox DCR-250 its really good but you have use a tripod either.But within 1cm FZ 35 in macro mode is really produce a grate shoot.i am took few but within them this one is great..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_bysack/4156509065/

Raynox DCR-250 is really good even more than the normal macro lens provided by the Panasonic.go for it.But before that take shoots with normal macro mode in FZ 35.Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm 
thank abhi, thats an awesome shot with the fz35!

Ill have to go and catch some incests first i think.....

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
@ Abhi,
Very nice shot. Btw, do you mind changing your fonts back to default. Don't worry about the vision of the members. They are all used to work with both tele and macro shots and are all quiet capable to focus on anything despite it's size and distance. :wink: No need to tell you that i am just kidding.
Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm 
omac wrote:
thank abhi, thats an awesome shot with the fz35!

Ill have to go and catch some incests first i think.....

:shock:

... dont do that :evil: :evil:

without any lense added, less than 1cm to coin:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8618/p1000101r.jpg

with an myownbuiltlens (photo resized but no cut):

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5585/dibujolty.jpg