Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:23 pm 
0.o......I see, thanks for the help :lol:

Post subject: My reasons
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 pm 
The 1.8 because:

1. It's cheap
2. It's awesome

My apologies for not really adding anything new to the thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I've had to remove some questions and off-topic posts though - please keep this thread for 50mm owners telling us why they went for a particular version - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:30 am 
My First 50mm Prime Was the AF 50mm f/1.8D, it served me well image wise.

I changed after about one year to the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G mostly due to the focus ring that my hand kept getting in the way for. And due to the special characteristics of f1.4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:30 am 

For me it was the 50 1.8. The 1.4G wasn't available when I bought it.

I'm very happy - quick focussing on the D90 and very sharp across the frame from f4 on. Distortion and vignetting are not an issue and contrast is excellent.

I use the 35/1.8 more now because of its focal length, but the 50 is still very important to me.

And having a reasonably accurate focussing scale is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm 
OK, I own countless 50mm's, and I really dont know why Ive just bought another one, but I have, and its the manual focus f/1.2.

The build quality is the first thing that struck me when I first held it and what differentiates it from the competition for me.

From f/2 and slower, I dont think it adds anything to the f/1.4 image quality wise, so Im only going to be using this to shoot wide open.

I also dont intend to shoot this on digital, my 35mm does a better job in terms of usefulness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:27 am 
I went with the 50mm f/1.8D.

It was cheap, great quality and felt like the obvious choice to me. I planned on the more expensive 50mm f/1.4 but realised that the extra money wouldn't be worth it to me, and the in built focus motor was not wirth it, I hardly shoot fast objects with it anyway, only people and non moving things with manual focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:49 pm 
50mm F1.8
Amazing value for money.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:04 am 
Hi...the above is for sale for $700 on f/b. I don't know a thing about lenses, so it this lense going to be ok for general shooting - sports and family for indoor and outdoor use? Is the price good for the body and lens?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 am 

A 50 1.8 for 700 dollars? Those cost like, 140$ or less new :lol:

I got the 50mm AF-S F/1.4. I liked the more silent AF, focus override, and of course the extra 2/3s of a stop :)
It's also weathersealed (rubber gasket), so shooting in the rain with it won't be a huge problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:10 pm 
the cost is for the d90 body and that lense. it's used so it won't come with the standard lens, so I want to make sure I have something that can be used for what I need for general purposes. I'm not a pro - just need good up close shots of kids at sports and theartre performances and then everyday family shots. I thought $700 would be good even for the body. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:41 pm 
the rare and non-infamous 50mm 1.4 AF *non-D* model!

i picked up this gem for 230$

i felt as if the d700 could use a better lens, and because my old 50mm 1.8 AF has had fungus for quite some time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:17 pm 
Nikon 50mm F1.8D

1.) Cheap, and was on a tight budget

2.) Recently got a job for architectural work, and i thought this was a good lens. I was going to get the 35mm F1.8G because it was wider, but chose to go with the 50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:06 pm 
Nikon 50mm 1.8D
I'm on the way to begin wedding photography and added this basic one, used to have an old 50mm with my Nikon F3 and wanted it back.Cheap, reliable, sharp, quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 am 
Got the f1.8 but I WILL get the f1.4 (non-G version) and soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next