Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question about the 17-70
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:16 pm 
Ok so I want a (way better) quality lens than my 18-55, however i cannot pay 600-100$,

so ive seen this Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5

Is it good ? How's the build ? Does it have a better IQ ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:28 am 
Hi,

I've purchased the 17-70 a while ago and I'm totally happy with it. it is a little bit not as sharp at 17mm wide open compared to the Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5 but than again from 3.5 upwärds it's the same and the Nikkor doesn't even offer a 2.8 setting.

I like the lens for the nice a little bit wider than normal wide angle and for its very good macro capabilities. It has a minimum focusing distance of 0.2 meters trough the whole range!

So it should be a step up from the Kit lens in terms of range, speed and possibilities.

I bought mine used from a Store for 200€ with warranty and everything fine but you can get them new from amazon for around 270€!

ciao,

Karhallarn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 am 
sigma has released a new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS with image stabilization i wonder if its any good, i heard rumors the last one was very soft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 pm 

Very soft? It was pretty good from my memory (I used it). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 pm 

See review of 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC here. It got 3 stars whereas the Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED DX II got 3.5 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 pm 
sorry for bumping an old topic, I'm thinking of getting either this lens or the 17-85 from canon. I don't really care about IS, my concerns are sharpness/image quality. which would you say is better of these 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:40 pm 

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS got a 74% score and a "recommended" from Gordon here. But let me quote two warnings from his verdict: "On the downside though there are several optical issues to be aware of" and "It's far from perfect and arguably over-priced".
A test by photozone led to 2.5 stars for optical performance.