Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big Hippi Car
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:41 pm 
I don't know if anyone minds these huge images (not huge anymore), but the full impact of my neighbor's car is lost when viewed smaller. This post is just to FINALLY get a picture posted in CameraLabs. :D

Not so big now...

Oly E510 14-54mm

Last edited by BrianS on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Nice car!

(I still reckon it'd be ok reduced down a bit in size though Brian!)

Post subject: Too big?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:21 pm 
Ok, I'll repost it, but it won't be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 pm 
you could always just post a link to a larger file size below, simple really. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:24 pm 

or even set up the smaller image as a link (clickable object). The BBCode Adding an image to a post page describes how to do this. If you are already familiar with the [url=..]..[/url] syntax (described here) it's pretty intuitive. :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:59 pm 
Thanks Gregory! Why didn't I think of that? :oops:

Large (big): http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1391/146 ... cba1_b.jpg

Original (super): http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1391/146 ... 76a1_o.jpg

Thanks again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 pm 
Haha, yeah definetly better bigger. Cheers. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm 
Thanks Bob, I've never been able to get [url] to work, I've been using [img] instead. I've tried [url] several different ways but it never works.

btw, here's my flickr url if you want to poke around:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14355823@N02/ :D

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: EDIT added by Bob Andersson :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

OK Brian,

I'll use my superhero Moderator powers to edit this post and add a clickable image to it so you can see what's happening by clicking the Edit button. :idea: I use the Firefox browser but where appropriate I will give the IE procedures as well.

On page http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2119467245&size=m I right-clicked the image and copied the "Image Location" to the clipboard (in IE right-click, select "Add to Favorites" and copy the URL to the clipboard before dismissing the dialog). The resultant URL is http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/211 ... f2fe3e.jpg and surrounding this with the usual [img]..[/img] tags gives:

So how to make this object "clickable"? Let's step back a bit and think about the [url]..[/url] and [/url=..]..[/url] tags. Let's say we want to create a hyperlink to the CameraLabs site. Just surrounding the URL with [url]..[/url] does the trick of course - http://www.cameralabs.com/ - but for more complicated URLs this rapidly becomes unreadable. To get a readable hyperlink move the actual URL address inside the first tag, modified to include an '=' sign (the only trick here is that the URL must not contain spaces so if it does then replace each space with %20). So now we get Camera Labs. The descriptive text between the [url=..]..[/url] tags can be whatever you want. In fact you can even replace it entirely with an image bracketed with the [img]..[/img] tags as above like so:

For this "clickable" image the URL I used in the "[url]tag was simply the address of your "Santa Cruz 163" page ([url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14355823@N02/2119467245/[/url]) plucked from my browser's address bar.

Once you've got the hang of this then as a reward ( 8) ) click on the Edit button to see how to do this:
Yet another layer of complication, I know, but provided the right-hand edge of the image stays within the normal forum width I think it can help frame a photo. Good luck!

Gorgeous picture, by the way.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:40 pm 
Hi Gregory. Glad you enjoyed it. The guy who owns it is a construction worker -- very friendly guy. I see him about once a week. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:50 pm 
Thanks Bob for the heads up! I'll give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 pm 
Ok!!! It took a few tries but this works -- click on image to view my photos THANKS BOB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:53 pm 

BrianS wrote:
Ok!!! It took a few tries but this works -- click on image to view my photos THANKS BOB!

My pleasure! 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:21 pm 
I don't know whether to let this die or continue -- it's hard to believe it started with a photo of a car. Anyway, I had already written this up...

Hi all. I thought I’d better come back TRY to explain what I learned about [url] posting.

First, as Bob said, a plain [url]”address”[/url] won’t work for complex URLs like Flickr images.

You must use [url=”address”][url] . However, this did not work for me until I included an object, like this: [url=”address”]my picture[/url] . That displayed the words “my picture” which you could click on and see my picture in Flickr. That form was set aside for the following…

What I finally went with was: [url=destination][img]display[/img][/url]

display = address of picture to be displayed in forum.
destination = address to go to when the picture was clicked on.

One Flickr address was used in the first (destination) part and another Flickr address in the [img](display)%20part.%20%20It%20went%20like%20this:%20[url=”address%20of%20big%20destination%20picture%20in%20Flicker”][img]”address%20of%20small%20picture%20displayed%20in%20Camera%20Lab%20Forum”[/img][/url] .

Since there are several ways to configure the [url] statement, you will have to play with it until you get what you want. Remember to watch out for spaces, they will stop the code from working.