Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wet Night Street
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 pm 
Hi, I'm still experimenting with various kinds of shots I haven't tried before. I've seen so many shots taken in the rain that I wanted to try one myself. This picture was taken about 4:30 AM in a drizzle. I covered the camera with a sheet of plastic wrap (de-staticed) which was rubber-banded around the lens hood (no tape). This worked find, I could easily see shooting info, and even through the viewfinder (somewhat). The location could have been better, but the ambient street light was helpful lighting the sidewalk and seeing what I was doing. The camera was mounted on a short 12" tripod (VR off).

If I were to do it again I would increase shutter release time, and put the camera all the way on the ground so to pickup more of the reflection from the sidewalk.

D50, 70-300 VR @ 70mm, ISO 200, 1/5, f/8
The image was cropped, saturated, lightened, sharpened, with increased contrast.

Coments are welcome :D Please keep in mind this is my first attempt at this kind of photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm 
hey Brian, what are you using to do your post processing? If you can get hold of photoshop, although im sure the features on many other imaging editors, try using the auto colour function. You would end up with this instead (i personally think looks better).

Image :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:08 pm 
Hi Gregory. To my eye there isn't very much difference -- but then I may be overlooking something. I use Faststone for most of my processing, which works well for most things. I have however been trying the nice options PS (Elements 3) has to offer lately. For quick and easy work it's hard to beat Faststone though. Perhaps you could direct my eye to what you like most about the PS fix, or is it just the overall feeling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:10 pm 
There appears to be a little more haze in the first shot. But perhaps that's the look you were going for. I quite like the shot by the way.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:31 pm 
Ok Markh, I see it now. Yes, I would agree, less haze is better! It's probably a result of brightening. Damn, I hate it when PS is smarter then me :lol: Thanks. :D