Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:47 pm 
Just got this lens today, and I love it already! :P
The IS seems very effective and the F-Stop of 2.8 helps in low light conditions too. - more pictures will follow soon!



Image


Tv( Shutter Speed )1/80
Av( Aperture Value )2.8
ISO Speed400
LensEF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 pm 
Glad you like your Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro lens - the photo taken with it are great - I was tempted to get that same lens but found a
Canon EF-S Macro USM 60mm lens so cheap I could not pass it up. I think they both are great lens - keep posting as I would love to see the results of that lens. Also what mode are you shooting it in - the instructions on mine suggest AV - (the lens is under the Christmas tree - so I have a few days to wait - but I down loaded the instructions from Canon so I could get a head start.)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:31 pm 
Image


Image



Both of these were again handheld.
The fullsize pictures can be viewed on my flickr.



*update*

Image


Image


Image

Image



I love the IS! :oops:[/img]


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 am
Posts: 1977
errr... before my camera took a swim I had the chance to play with this lens for a few days... loved the results it gave but was a bit worried about focus time when I had the lens set for its max range setting called "full". It seemed at times to take well over a second, if not 2 or a bit more to gain focus when going from extreme closeup to something a few meters away and a few times it even seemed to loose where it was and not gain focus at all after several seconds.

Is this the norm and I should be using the other 2 range settings for faster focusing times to narrow the parameters (as suggested in the manual) or is my lens flawed and even though it may take more time to focus going directly from one extreme to the other it should not be taking as much time as it is?

thanks for any info on this :)

_________________
Canon 7D + 50D + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM + EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Pelican // Black Rapid // Think Tank // Manfrotto // Garmin

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:48 am 
Hi everyone,

I am new into the world of macro photography and I am struggling which one to choose between Canon 100mm IS USM Lens and Canon 180mm USM macro. Any advice? I have researched about both, but couldn't find any comparison between this two lens. I would greatly appreciate feedback of those who own one or both of these lens.

Thank you


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm
Posts: 8042
Location: UK
Wolfsong, my experience of the Sigma 150 is similar. I believe due to the nature of longer macro lenses, quite a bit of movement is needed to focus close up. Combined with the need for accuracy, the speed is the victim. That is why the focus range limiters are supplied.

Bikorchi, while I own neither, and at the risk of over simplification, the 100 IS seems the better choice if you want to handhold at longer exposures. The 180mm will get you a bit more working distance.

_________________
Canon DSLRs: 7D, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 28-80 V, 70-300L, 100-400L, TS-E 24/3.5L, MP-E 65, EF-S 15-85 IS
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS, Celestron 1325/13
Tinies: Sony HX9V.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:03 am
Posts: 854
Location: Paris, London
Bikorchi wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am new into the world of macro photography and I am struggling which one to choose between Canon 100mm IS USM Lens and Canon 180mm USM macro. Any advice? I have researched about both, but couldn't find any comparison between this two lens. I would greatly appreciate feedback of those who own one or both of these lens.

Thank you


I own the canon 180, which I think is a superb lens. It is hard to work with hand-held, but still usable. Even better with a tripod.

I believe it is Canon's largest black lens. It is not weather sealed like the new 100L though...so if you find yourself in a rain forest, use the 100!


Some sample shots can be found : http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17166


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 am
Posts: 1977
DP-PARIS wrote:
It is not weather sealed like the new 100L though...so if you find yourself in a rain forest, use the 100!


this is exactly why I got the 100L.. well not cause of the rain forest but cause I do a lot of outdoor stuff...

thanks for the info popo :)

_________________
Canon 7D + 50D + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM + EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Pelican // Black Rapid // Think Tank // Manfrotto // Garmin

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 am 
Thank you very much for your advice. Does 180mm give a lot space or just a foot or so? Maybe I should try with both and see which one I will like.


Bikorchi

PS: Thanks to Popo and Woflsong as well.


DP-PARIS wrote:
Bikorchi wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am new into the world of macro photography and I am struggling which one to choose between Canon 100mm IS USM Lens and Canon 180mm USM macro. Any advice? I have researched about both, but couldn't find any comparison between this two lens. I would greatly appreciate feedback of those who own one or both of these lens.

Thank you


I own the canon 180, which I think is a superb lens. It is hard to work with hand-held, but still usable. Even better with a tripod.

I believe it is Canon's largest black lens. It is not weather sealed like the new 100L though...so if you find yourself in a rain forest, use the 100!


Some sample shots can be found : http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17166


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:35 am 
Shot handheld , manual focus , Iso 100 , f/8 , 1/250 , with flash . The Image Stabilization on this lens really works well , I'm quite amazed by its efficiency :shock:

Full image
Image

Tighter crop ( and original is 100% size )
Image


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 pm 
Wolfsong wrote:
DP-PARIS wrote:
It is not weather sealed like the new 100L though...so if you find yourself in a rain forest, use the 100!


this is exactly why I got the 100L.. well not cause of the rain forest but cause I do a lot of outdoor stuff...

thanks for the info popo :)


I'm not going to help your decision most likely, but i have the non IS 100 and I love is ability to walk around and point at something so close up to see it in macro and then to look up and have a great sharp low aperture lens. Here are the two sides: One: I do find myself wishing I didn't have to get 10" from a bee or less with the hood on. Two: When getting really close to objects, it may seem to be enough light for a 1/160 shutter, but it surprising how quickly macro falls into needed high F's and longer shutters. So I could see this IS really helping here. Three: I love it for an indoor lens with its F2.8 and its super sharp, but indoors I've been using my kit lens w/ IS because I can shoot down to 1/80 or so.

Hope I've showed you a few sides to think about.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:42 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Netherlands
csmonte wrote:
So I could see this IS really helping here.

It is still not that much better, 2 stops at best at 1:1 if you are lucky, more likely only 1 stop.

IppatsuMan71 wrote:
Shot handheld , manual focus , Iso 100 , f/8 , 1/250 , with flash . The Image Stabilization on this lens really works well , I'm quite amazed by its efficiency :shock:


Reading 1/250 with flash, how do you judge it is so efficient? Can you tell a bit more, or show some examples with and without IS on

_________________
- Wout -
Lowepro Nova 200 AW filled with Nikon D90 + MB-D80
18-70 DX, 70-300 VR, 35 1.8 DX, SB-700


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:27 pm 
WoutK89 wrote:
Reading 1/250 with flash, how do you judge it is so efficient? Can you tell a bit more, or show some examples with and without IS on


Oops , I meant efficient for manual focus . At this distance from the subject , about 3-4 inches or so , the depth of field is really shallow , and the IS helps a great deal to obtain a spot-on focus , minimizing the hands shaking .

Of course at 1/250 sec exposure , the IS isn't very relevant :)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 pm 
Image


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 1315
Location: Speyer (Germany)
Canon EOS 500D
ISO 400
F9
1/160 sec
Flash used

Picture here is resized and cropped, click for the .jpg file without post processing:

Image

Yes, the sensor is clean now.

I use that lens as often as possible as it's definitely the sharpest of my lenses.
It was used for those pictures for example: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... 775#240775

A 100% crop:
Image
Look at those eyes!

Although 100mm isn't the most useful focal length on a crop frame camera it's one of the lenses I use most.

_________________
Canon EOS 500D + Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 33v
Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group