Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 pm 
Will this fit on fz38 and if it will , is it ok to buy ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

I read it is recommended to get uv filter .
dont have fz38 yet , but I supose Ill buy it in 10 days.

Post subject: UV Filter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:35 pm 
Yes, this is exactly the same as the one I purchased here in South Africa and fits perfectly onto the FZ38. It's indeed 46mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:02 pm 

Hello Gordon,
Thank you for the very very helpful detailed review! Like many, I too was immensely benefitted from this.
It really was a very difficult decision to choose between FZ35 and SX20 IS, more so when trying those hands on! SX20 IS was that much more tempting with its very DSLR look and feel plus better aesthetic (articulate LCD, hot shoe for external flash) in addition to the extra 2X zooming power.
Ultimately what made me settle for FZ35 were 4 of its features: 1- a faster aperture at the tele end (f4.4), 2- faster autofocus capability, 3- lesser colour fringing and 4- faster burst mode. Yes RAW was another preferable feature.
One thing is confusing me a lot. When the resolution is reduced to below max of 12MP, the camera is allowing me to zoom more than 18X (in EZ resolutions that is. In fact I tried till 28X+ at 5MP). The digital zooming is set to ‘off’. Can you please help me with this? Is this optical zoom? If so then why FZ38/35 shall be termed as an 18X super zoom?
Hope to understand better with another valuable piece of information.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46710427@N07/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

This extra 'zoom' is making use of the 'spare' pixels you're not using when you reduce the image resolution. It's like a smart digital zoom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:37 am 

A BIG thanks once more for making it clear.

May be that is the reason why shots with 28X at 5MP showed only 86.4mm in the computer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46710427@N07/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:57 pm 
Thanks for the great reviews on the Panasonic FZ38 and the Canon SX20is. I'm just about to buy (will use the links on Cameralabs), BUT I am still a little undecided as to which one to go for. Despite being a confirmed Canon fan (I own a 40D) I'm actually tempted to go for the FZ38. However I am cannot seem to find out if there is any facility to use an external flash (I realise it doesn't have a hotshoe, but is there any way of using one with a sync cable etc.).

Appreciate any advice, and thanks again for a great site. The reviews on here are the best (and I've read loads recently!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:11 pm 
A number of FZ38/35 users have posted that they are successfully using products like the Zeikos External Flash & Handle Grip so presume that the flash sync works well.

As the Zeikos grip acts as the trigger, any flash unit should be able to be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 pm 
Thanks dbnnet.

I'm not sure if the Zeikos units are available in the UK, but I'm sure I can find something similar.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:14 pm 

Hello racer and dbnnet, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Regarding your flash-issue I couldn't even find a connector for an external flash. This is bad luck if you need a more powerful flash syncing with your new camera :(
dbnnet: could you give us some link? And how does the external flash sync with the camera settings of aperture e.g.?

Post subject: Flash Sync
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:44 pm 
Thomas, Hi. This is where I found the detail - Photo of the equipment is included there too!
Basically uses the F35/38's built-in flash unit fire.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/panas ... range.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm 
Ive finally bought the camera ... uhhH! that device is...something. im totaly disoriented in the pile of options that are out there . For now Im using iA couse I dont know better :d

joke .. I went out today and took some photos but I really dont know what Im doing , I chancge shuuter speed and F number and train to gain best results ;)

some samples..I hate taking photos indoors , but thats the part of the year , days are really short..

[

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm 

Just get youself acquainted with the camera in automatic mode.
It is often quite astonishing, what those modern cameras can do your you fully automatic.
Only after you understand, what doesn't work good in auto-mode should you start to bother which controls to pull (or push)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:47 am 
Yes , youre right...First I need to understand what it does in auto mode .

Hm I have another issue now .. when I connect it with USB cable to my laptop (vista sp2) it never shows up in the icon bar .. I mean , I cant "safely remove it" . I see the drive , I see it in my computer , its called "removable disk" , but I cant remove it safely as if all other USB flash drives , SD cards in my card reader and so on.

However , I can right click on Removable disk , then click on Eject, but nothing happens?could it be due to a fact that my SD card is "locked" , it has little switch for protected writing and its locked so I cant write or delete things when connected to laptop/pc..

Post subject: My Tips
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm 
I posted this as I hope that my own use of the FZ35/38 will maybe be of assistance to others.
1. I never use the iA mode – Bluntly put.... this mode is not a strength of this camera.
2. It’s specific Scene Modes do however fare better: i.e. Portrait + Soft Skin etc.
3. BUT.... It’s in the P or M mode where this camera truly begins to shine.
4. Try to limit the automated ISO settings. It often goes too high in my opinion. I started off by limiting the maximum ISO value to 800. That does help. These days I have my ISO permanently fixed at 200, and use the joy stick to adjust it downwards when needed. I really try and avoid using anything greater than 400. By having my ISO set at 200, I don’t make a mistake of having a large ISO value by mistake should I forget.
5. I found the Saturation setting a bit too low – So have it set at +1. I have left all others at 0, but that is a going to be to each individuals taste!

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 pm 
hello everybody, I'm new here

I was reading the review and got pretty convinced to buy one, I would like to make something clear because I'm a bit confused with the video options.

I read that movies recorded with the "motion JPEG" option are easy to edit etc. I tried to download the original file of this movie (http://www.vimeo.com/6554623) in order to test how adobe premiere handles the file and I got an error message for "unsupported format". The file format is MPEG-4 and it's supposed to be the original file taken from the camera. I got a similar message using the demo version of power director 8.

I haven't tried to import a video shot with the "AVCHD lite" option, I couldn't find one since vimeo does not support it.

So my question now is:
do I always have to convert these movie files into AVI for example in order to edit them using premiere? Or am I missing something here? Because if I need to convert then I would probably go for the canon sx1.

The reason I decided not to go for the sx1 was that I got scared of the cumbersome 1080 H.264 formats since video editing is something I'd like to perform. I tried to convert a couple of sx1 movies (found on vimeo) using that SUPER (c) software suggested in another topic and I got quite good AVI results. But still, I would like to avoid conversions if possible. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Andreas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next