Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:59 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Can you play any other video on vimeo?

All the videos are playable except the one's on Vimeo (I guess). e.g A-550 and A-230 Low bandwidth versions. These are the one's I tried just now. No luck at all. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:06 pm 
Guys, may be your security app is blocking referrer/cookies etc. Vimeo works fine with both opera and Firefox (even with adblock plus and noscript, tweaked to allow vimeo).

And to be clear, I'm not qualified-enough to be critical of Gordon the Great - just sharing some thoughts. With all the "behind the scenes" stuff Gordon shared, I think he"ll appreciate some input on the technicalities - particularly from you folks who have experience doing this kind of videos.

Looking forward to see more interviews like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 pm 
R0Y.1 wrote:
Guys, may be your security app is blocking referrer/cookies etc. Vimeo works fine with both opera and Firefox (even with adblock plus and noscript, tweaked to allow vimeo).

Hello Roy., what do you suggest? Should I clean the cache? :( Could it be a problem of a recent update of "ESET Nod32", installed on my system? I don't have a clue. Vimeo was working fine on my system a couple of weeks back. But now, i don't know what happened...... :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 pm 
Yesterday I couldn't watch the second part. I got the message:

Quote:
Sorry

The creator of this video has not given you
permission to embed it on this domain.

This is a Vimeo Plus feature.

And clicking on the video area brought me to the Vimeo site where I was told:

Quote:
This is a private video
Do you have permission to watch this video? If you do please first log in to Vimeo to watch this video.

But apparently Gordon's tweaks to some of the settings at Vimeo fixed this because today it worked.

It not working yesterday did make me wonder why both parts weren't on YouTube but I guess that spreading the two parts over two video services prevents people who 'find' the video there from watching both parts without visiting the CL site. This way they are drawn to the website which is obviously what Gordon would prefer.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 pm 
Cam-I-Am wrote:
And clicking on the video area brought me to the Vimeo site where I was told:

Hi Cam-I-Am,
Unfortunately, i have been trying the same but nothing is happening. I even moved the cursor here and there while right clicking to download the video by IDM. On my browser, it seems like there is no link present at all. Need some advise to fix this Vimeo issue. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Not sure whether it was clicking or double-clicking I did. So try both to be sure.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm 
Tried double clicking too. Still nothing. I hope, after some time, Gordon will post the video on youtube (just guessing) :). Maybe then i'll be able to watch it. Until then, i would be greatful to anybody who has any advise for me to resolve this matter.
Just to keep things clear, I am only having problem in watching the 2nd part because there is no preview window. There is no problem in the 1st part. This is happening not only to the Chase Jarvis's video but to all other videos on Vimeo as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm 
I downloaded both videos with IDM (via Firefox's plugin). And I wasn't logged in to either Google or vimeo. So obviously it's not private. Try disabling any browser restrictions in the security app. (or just disable the app altogether to be sure) I don't use NOD32, so can't say for sure. Get a live ubuntu CD and try from there. Use opera - it works great and is very secure. Don't forget to install the flash player.
And to play the video you must first activate the activex control by a single click, then it will become interactive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

The second part was initially restricted for viewing on the cameralabs.com domain only to encourage people to come to the site. This worked for the majority of people, but when a few coulodn't access it for some reason, I made it public on Vimeo, although I still restricted the embedding to cameralabs.

The reason I did this is because this is my full-time living and I can't make any money unless people come to the site and actually shop through our partner stores. If they watch the videos on other sites or download them, they effectively circumvent my revenue stream. Donwloading videos also prevents me from receiving accurate playback statistics - these stats in turn influence which products or subjects I cover in the future. If I don't know how many people are watching or from where, I can't properly judge how popular something has been.

This is the big problem with YouTube because if you want to embed a video, you have to let EVERYONE do it. This isn't normally that big an issue with the video reviews because there's additional content here to go with them (the review and results), but with the interview, that's really the only content, so there's no incentive for people to come here if they watch it elsewhere. So if I posted part 2 on YT, I am effectively giving it all away for free and the week I spent putting it together won't be paid.

But back to the technicalities and why it won't play for some people. Maybe vimeo is being very picky about the actual domain, so please make sure you visit http://www.cameralabs.com (the full name) and ensure you've cleared your cache and cookies as they may still 'remember' the previous settings when it was more private.

If that doesn't work, you should still be able to watch it at vimeo itself because it's no longer private there. Presuming of course that you can already play other videos from vimeo. If you can't play any videos from vimeo, please look at their troubleshooting sections at vimeo.com.

ROY - despite you comitting the cardinal sin of downloading my videos (!), I do appreciate your tips and agree they would make the video better. Unfortunately as described, there was little I could do about the framing because I had to point the cameras, then sit in front of them - there was no-one available to check the picture while we were talking, and as you know, people do move in their chairs.

And while Chase seemed very happy to give me as much time as I needed, I did want to get it all wrapped up as quickly and professionally as possible, so I didn't have long to setup. We also wasted a lot of time trying to find a location outdoors, which would have been brighter, but high winds forced us indoors - in fact a glass-topped table even blew over and just missed Chase! By the way, the fireplace was his idea! We almost had it lit too, but again it was taking too long.

As for using a DSLR to film, remember I needed cameras which could film uninterrupted for around one hour, and that eliminates most DSLRs.

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm 
Thanks a lot Roy, Cam-I-Am, and Gordon. Let me try and do as advised. I appreciate it.
Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 pm 
Just downloaded and installed Opera, fully updated. Still nothing. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

ROY - despite you comitting the cardinal sin of downloading my videos ...

The sin isn't really as bad as it looks. How? Well, Firstly I got the news about it from cameralabs itself - via RSS. Then I played it directly on the browser, after reading the whole lot. The download manager's plugin intercepted it while it was playing already, and I took it for offline viewing - because it wasn't the time that my ISP allocates everyday for free data transfers, and they are bandits. Besides, the videos look better on media players with lots of stuff to tweak. Also, my screen is more set up to match photo prints rather than watch srgb-based web images/videos. So unfortunately pictures and videos don't look very nice on browser.

And I have visited all your partner stores ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 pm 
frs69 wrote:

Install latest flash player from adobe, install k-lite codec pack. Go to opera's preferences and enable cookies, javascript and referrer info. Enable animated images and plugins. Restart opera and try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 am 

Gordon I'd be interested in a test where for a few reviews, you just post a preview, like 1-2minutes on youtube and to see the rest you have to go to Cameralabs.com and the review, and the video from vimeo would show up with the review. This gives you the crowd of youtube and the people come here.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 am 
R0Y.1 wrote:
frs69 wrote:

Install latest flash player from adobe, install k-lite codec pack. Go to opera's preferences and enable cookies, javascript and referrer info. Enable animated images and plugins. Restart opera and try.

Hi Roy. I already got the latest Flash Player, K-lite codec pack and the preferences were already set like you advised. God bless you for still helping me out. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next