Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jessops 360afd
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 am 

Just bought a jessops 360 afd flash and it seems to work fine with the E-TTL on my canon 400d i have taken a couple of shots with it today and i think the results are OK i don't know allot about using a flash but its better than the built in flash and it states in the manual it can be used as a slave cant test that as its the first flash i have ever bought, but as soon as i can get some photos taken i will post them for your comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:42 am 

Them flashes look good for only £69.99, you will have to do a review on one of these

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:08 am 

FazerUK wrote:
Them flashes look good for only £69.99, you will have to do a review on one of these

With the jessops code it cost £65 so even better i'll se if i can get some time to get some photos but as i say im new to photography and new to using the flash but i will do what i can thanks fazeruk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:41 am 

As far as slave mode goes..put it in slave mode, and then set your popup flash to manual, low power (1/64 or something), to eliminate the preflashes. Then as soon as the flash sees your popup flash...flash :lol: , it will fire. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:45 pm 

Citruspers wrote:
As far as slave mode goes..put it in slave mode, and then set your popup flash to manual, low power (1/64 or something), to eliminate the preflashes. Then as soon as the flash sees your popup flash...flash :lol: , it will fire. :)

On the Features of this flash, it says Slave: = No

So does that mean you can not do what you say with this flash?

Rexer1200: what was the code to get the extra discount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:39 pm 

FazerUK wrote:
Citruspers wrote:

On the Features of this flash, it says Slave: = No

So does that mean you can not do what you say with this flash?

Rexer1200: what was the code to get the extra discount?

Dont know i wil try the slave but it dose say in the manual it can be used as a slave and there is a button on the back to use it as a slave

As for the code yes extra discount on the sale price jessops5 is the code

Citruspers thanks for the info i will try that later

UPDATE i have just tried the slave mode using citruspers directions and it dose work so that is a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:51 pm 

Just read on someones advert on ebay, this flash does not work on the Canon EOS 50D, trying to find out if this is true, as I fancy one of these at that price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:15 am 

FazerUK wrote:
Just read on someones advert on ebay, this flash does not work on the Canon EOS 50D, trying to find out if this is true, as I fancy one of these at that price

Sorry mate cant help you there i'm afraid i did read on one review that although it dose work on the EOS 40D it isn't fully compatible, with the 40d, All the instructions say is works with canon E-TTL and E-TTL 2 cameras hope this helps cant find anything regarding the 50D :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:01 pm 

I got one of those flashes as well, albeit one for a Sony Alpha A100. Any ideas how to use this effectively i.e. what angle to use when, where to angle for bounce and when to use the diffuser? etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:53 pm 

Dean Smith wrote:
I got one of those flashes as well, albeit one for a Sony Alpha A100. Any ideas how to use this effectively i.e. what angle to use when, where to angle for bounce and when to use the diffuser? etc.

I'm new to all this myself so cant tell you to much sorry, but as far as i know the diffuser is used to soften the light, on your subject, as for angle and bounce i have just been experimenting myself what i have done is if i had a shadow on the left side i bounced the light from a wall or ceiling on that seams to work but it just trial and error.

Im sure someone who knows a lot more about this will be allong soon to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 pm 

*poof* You called? :lol:

Let's get one thing straight. Diffusers do not make the light soft, they just scatter it everywhere. The idea is the light scatters to a large surface, which in turn becomes the actual "diffuse" light source.

I've seen way too many people in open spaces popping up diffusers because they thought it would make the light softer, whilst in fact it only reduces your light output.

As far as diffuse light goes. When we say "diffuse light", we mean soft light. Soft light is achieved by having a light source that is large in relationship to the subject. the sun is very large, but, because it is so faraway, it becomes a tiny lightsource. I have 2 softboxes, an umbrella and a reflector to create soft light.

So how to get soft light in practice? Look around!
See a white wall? Light it and place your subject near it. The closer they are, the softer the light.
If you have a white ceiling, use the diffuser. Ceiling only light will create an ugly shadow under the eyes, and that's where the diffuser kicks in. Say, the ceiling is our main light source, creating a shadow under the eyes. The diffuser itself also emits light, which fills in the shadow on your models face. Yes, the light is a bit harder in that shadow, but is generally not noticable.

So how to do a real studio shoot, on the cheap, with one flash, on-camera? Simply find something to become your light source. Fire a test shot, see where the shadows are. Then compensate for those shadows by bouncing some light in there. For example, use the ceiling, and pop on the diffuser to fill in those shadows a bit. Bonus points for ditching the diffuser and popping a white piece of cardboard under the models chin (larger light source).

finally: light picks up the colour of what it hits. If you bounce from a blue wall, your model will become a smurf.

Happy new year

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:53 am 

Thanks for that citruspers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 am 

You're welcome rexer. I want to see some awesome flash shots from you now! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 am 

WOW these was selling before xmas for £39.99, got to be well worth that as a slave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 am 

is there much of a difference with these flashes compaired to the like if the Nikon sb-600

http://www.iainj.webs.com/ - under construction